Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Colin Broad Sr4 syncronizer

Anybody out there using a Colin Broad Sr-4 synchronizer?

We have Pro Tools 7.2 on Windows. We are considering purchasing a new synchronizer. What I would like to do is have the synchronizer control Pro Tools via machine control deck emulation.

The reason for this is that we need to record our DME stems in Pro Tools at the same time we are laying back to tape. Our current work flow is to record mixes to Digibeta and DMEs to DA88 using TimeLine Microlynx. However we are moving into HD and have purchased Sony SRW5500 and Panasonic DVCproHD. The microlynx does not have machine templets for these new decks, thus our purchase consideration. And yes I know I can just use machine control. But only if I mix my stems to Pro Tools first and then do a layback pass. We generally don't have the time for the layback pass. We do "live layback" during the mix.

So, I know the SR-4 is one of the on;y qualified synchronizers to control Pro Tools. How do you set it up? And how well does it work?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Lewis
Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Colin Broad Sr4 syncronizer

Email Bill here:
http://www.timelinevista.net/

He's the only guy left who services them, ex-Timeline service man.
See if he can help you with new machine profiles, couldnt hurt!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:

The reason for this is that we need to record our DME stems in Pro Tools at the same time we are laying back to tape. Our current work flow is to record mixes to Digibeta and DMEs to DA88 using TimeLine Microlynx. However we are moving into HD and have purchased Sony SRW5500 and Panasonic DVCproHD. The microlynx does not have machine templets for these new decks, thus our purchase consideration. And yes I know I can just use machine control. But only if I mix my stems to Pro Tools first and then do a layback pass. We generally don't have the time for the layback pass. We do "live layback" during the mix.

Hey,

What is it about machine control that prevents an external "live layback" to a tape deck and printing stems internally to protools at the same time?

I print 8 tracks of DA88 and multiple stems in PT's at the same time: DA88 is master, PT's tracks put armed, PT's online, press record on the DA88 and sha-bam! And I do this without Machine Control (the DA88 is right next to the mix position).

I do occasionaly have lip sync issues, but I think that is the madness of Delay Compensation...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM

The dual transport mode on Icon (7.4cs2) lets you do this. (Well part of what you want ie one machine and pro tools tracks) At least I was able to do it this week on a project.

In Destructive record mode with a pre-roll setting.

1 -set point that you want to drop in on pro tools tracks.
2 -with ProTools transport active hit record.
3 -Once "in sync" hit machine transport once then hit record on machine transport.
you'll be recording to Protools and to machine.

-It would be nice if you could drop into both as one setting but this work around didn't seem too painful.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM

I second what dcaudio said.

You just have to enable "Transport Record Lock" in your Preferences>Operation in the "Record" section. Print stems and layback to tape at the same time.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 PM

I have had issues trying to do the same thing you are mentioning. We have Digi's machine control software running on a Mac Pro 2x2.66 pt. 7.3.1cs6
Whenever we engage the track inside of protools that we want to record our audio to, it kicks the 5500 into PreRead mode.

Randall
Denver, CO
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM

Man, I keep having this problem. With the older gray 5500 decks, when I record-enable tracks in PT to record the stems, it kicks the deck into pre-read. This doesn't happen on the newer black decks we have. Has anyone figured this out? I'm on 8.0.3 HD
Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 AM

The SR 4 is a complex and clever beast but NOT intuitive. The same goes for Colin - unless you speak 9- pin!

Why not record your stems in PT at the same time as laying back mix to vt?

I do it all the time with destructive record and preroll - a few more button presses, but much easier than diving into the SR 4. When oh when will digi (oops Avid) let us drop in to ext mc and PT at the same time.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com