Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Urgent: Serious issue with clip effects

Thank you so much, Farhoof. My monitor's gray scale must be set so low and the colon so small that it looks like 1.01 instead of 1.0:1! I'll recheck.

Ironically, I changed it in order to test and of course if I change the makeup gain or the ratio then it applies gain or starts compressing so I assumed that the compressor was engaged with a 1.01:1 ratio.... Same with the Gate.

Case closed, for now. Though I would prefer for peace of mind to see all those elements bypassed, with the Engage buttons for the comp and Exp disengaged till the user wants them.

This thread has run its course, thanks very much to Farhoof.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Hi Bob, please check the interface again, the number are incredibly small, I'll admit, but the standard ratio for compression is actually 1.0:1 and not 1.01 (it only even allows for 1 decimal, there is a very feint 'colon' between 0 and 1).
These are the same default settings as the Avid Channel Strip, where the expander and compressor are also engaged by default, but both are set to the 1:1 ratio (clip fx = channel strip and use the same presets).

Please do not worry, when you drag a clip to the timeline and don't fiddle with the clip fx (and doesn't show either the eq or dyn indicators) there is no alteration of the clip.

There is no fix needed, this is a design choice. Just as the channel strip, it would be cumbersome to first engage all the parameters before you can actually use it. The exception are the low and highpass filters, these filters _always_ alter the sound when engaged as you can't set the frequency below 20Hz or above 21kHz, hence the reason they are disengaged by default.

To be fair, the GUI is not very clear about it because the clip fx is derived from the channel strip using the same parameters. In the clip fx window, the green on/off switches correspond to the aqua EQ-FILT-DYN-VOL buttons on the top of channel strip window. And the orange on/off button of the channel strip window correspond to the texted HF/HMF/LMF/LF/1/2/ExpGate/CompLim buttons.

If there is any doubt please share a screenshot of your factory default clip fx settings (or the Comp/Lim section zoomed in).