Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Sound Advice.

Greetings HD users.

I just wanted to pick the brains of some of the more experienced audio professionals here. I am a musician first and foremost and I would like to get the best recording possible at my home studio. I realize I should focus on learning how to mix, get my room treated and get the best microphones I can afford etc. As far as audio interfaces go, I am a bit stuck.

I currently own and happily use Logic pro 6.4.3. I want to know if you guys think it would be worth jumping ship and going PTLE with a digi002 or get something else like RME mobile dsp kit or a metric halo or something similar. One thing I'm concerned about is that PTLE's days may be numbered now that M-Powered is out, and I also think there are better interfaces than the Maudio gear. I just want simplicity and good sound quality with the least amount of headaches.

I would have asked in the LE forums/non-digi forums but I get the feelin that sometimes users in the prosumer markets can get a little overzealous with their loyalty and be less than objective. I know HD users have invested a lot of money and time into learning the audio engineering craft and I think my chances of getting a more informed opinion are much greater in this forum.

So I ask you....Digi002, or no?

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Sound Advice.

Hi,

002 and PT6.7 will have a much better audio engine that the one you are use to and the plug-ins are much better in my opinion! if you are a big midi user, you might miss some of the midi and composition features? but a small sacrifice for a better sounding DAW.

So it does depend somewhat on what you are going to be doing! i switched 10 months back from Logic to PT and this was when i really started to like and use plug-ins, they actually worked like the real thing. I have an HD system for my studio and a LE system at home and the plugins are great on both. The LE/002 system will be restricted to 32 (active) audio tracks and RTAS only plugins and instruments? but the software is almost identical the the TDM version with only a few features missing. PT is nice system to work on for long hours! everything is crisp looking and clear.

My opinions, chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:53 PM

Thanks for your reply Chris! First off I'd like to say that I checked out your website and it looks awesome! I would love to have access to a facility like that!

Back on topic though....I like what the digi002 has to offer in features. I figure I can always just do my midi compositions in logic 6 and bounce the tracks into protools for mixing. Mind you I will be doing more acoustic music than anything else so that is not a big concern for me. As long as PT sounds good and doesn't crash every 5 seconds it's fine with me.

This is my shopping list so far:

Digi002
mac G5 dual 2
uad project pack

Do you think I need the G5 with the UAD1, or will just the 002 with my current powerbook (1.33 ghz 1GB RAM) be stable enough? I already checked the compatibility pages, but that line about performance varying between different systems seems to nag at me.

Thanks again for your input

Cheers
Old 04-11-2005, 11:52 AM

I don't think so. For your sound good, I think logic is better than pt le. Of course, PT HD is much better than Logic. But if you only want to buy something that's not to expencive, I prefer you updater your Logic to 7.0, there are many excellent plugins with it.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:53 PM

Kinghand wrote:

Quote:
I don't think so. For your sound good, I think logic is better than pt le. Of course, PT HD is much better than Logic. But if you only want to buy something that's not to expencive, I prefer you updater your Logic to 7.0, there are many excellent plugins with it.

I am happy with Logic 6 and would most likely upgrade to 7 eventually, no matter what I decide to do. What I am really curious about is the sound quality of the Digi002 interface. I like the idea of the all-in-one approach with the control surface built in, I just need to know how good it sounds. So how does a digi002 measure up versus Logic and say an RME multiface or something similar?

In case you were wondering, right now I am using a P.O.S. Tascam US122 USB interface. I mean it's ok for Garageband, but I am hungry to get some nice sounds via a new audio interface. I just don't want to spend 2600 dollars for a system only to find out that I could have just stuck with Logic and gotten better sound quality from another interface half the price.

Thank you for your replies

Cheers