Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 05:46 AM

Default This is spring?

On what's supposed to be the first day of spring 12:15 PM today we're looking at a winter storm warning for 10 to 14 inches of snow with some ice accumulation. And it looks like Mercer county (where I live) is going to get the worst of it. And plowing the streets in Trenton which is only the capitol city of the state? As Tony Soprano would say: fuhgeddaboutit.

What crawls up my butt is the weather people on a couple of different channels were showing EURO and GFS models with the storm going to miss us as of Saturday. And now this? Got a recipe for groundhog stew around here somewheres.

Already as I type this on Tuesday morning my back and sinuses are making themselves known in no uncertain terms.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Re: This is spring?

In Singapore today it was 32C/90F degrees.

:)
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
In Singapore today it was 32C/90F degrees.

:)
Gee thanks. I remember back in 1989 I was eventually going to Indonesia and had an overnight stay in Singapore. Left NJ on Thanksgiving week and it was in the 30F range here; Singapore was like 95F and 95% humidity. Talk about messing with not only one's mind but body as well.

Looking at the projected path and the heavy bands are fairly tight with tight cutoffs. Unfortunately we're still in the heaviest of projected snowfalls. 10 to 14 inches all told. The daffodyls we have out back are almost ready to bloom. This snow will probably do a number on them.

QAPLA!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 AM

I am sure you folks in the Northeast are ready for winter to end! Today it is beautiful here, with a projected high of 73 degrees and LOW HUMIDITY! Yesterday, I had my portable air conditioning unit on as it was 84 degrees and humid, but today I have windows open throughout the house. Once summer hits, I have to keep the windows shut to keep out the humidity, even if it is cooler in the morning.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM

Down here where I am (New Zealand) we're exiting summer....it's been a very wierd one. Yesterday we had four seasons in one day!

We've experienced blistering hot days in the North Island while Snowing in the South Island.....strange indeed.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-23-2018, 05:52 AM

Update:
Depending on which side of the house & block at least in the neighborhood we got anywheres from 8 to just over a foot of snow. Some parts of NJ just north of me got 18 inches of the stuff. Amazing part of it is as fast & heavy as it came in most of it melted yesterday which is good. This was the heavy/wet what is called 'heart attack' snow variety.

Hopefully this is the last of snow we'll see until December

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:33 AM

That's good that most of the snow melted off already. Does the city require you to clear the snow off of the sidewalks in a certain amount of time, or can you just wait until it melts off? I would probably stock up on food and beverages and not venture outside until the weather improves.

Oak tree pollen here is at extreme levels. I went outside yesterday to rake up a bunch of oak leaves (live oak trees shed their leaves in March, just as the new ones appear, so the trees are never bare), and today I am congested/sniffling.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
That's good that most of the snow melted off already. Does the city require you to clear the snow off of the sidewalks in a certain amount of time, or can you just wait until it melts off? I would probably stock up on food and beverages and not venture outside until the weather improves.

Oak tree pollen here is at extreme levels. I went outside yesterday to rake up a bunch of oak leaves (live oak trees shed their leaves in March, just as the new ones appear, so the trees are never bare), and today I am congested/sniffling.
The city doesn't give a specific amount of time to clear the sidewalks, just that we have to make things safe for people to walk. Which equates to a shovel-wide path and no ice; we buy rock salt by the 40 pound bag load. However unfortunately we have a neighbor across the street from us that thinks she runs the neighborhood and has called the police on us in the past for the way we clear our sidewalks. A couple of years ago she called the cops on someone two blocks away because she didn't like the way they shoveled their property. This bitch has been like this since we moved in 34 years ago. Angry old lady.

Allergies suck big time. My sister moved to Arizona to escape all the things she's allergic to. Problem with AZ is it gets so hot they need oven mitts (no joke) to drive in the summer time. More & more as I get older I find something that drives my sinuses crazy and that's no fun. Because everything is connected inside the bodies when my sinuses go haywire my ears go funky and not in a good way. Aggravates my tinnitus.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
On what's supposed to be the first day of spring 12:15 PM today we're looking at a winter storm warning for 10 to 14 inches of snow with some ice accumulation.
Supposed to have our first good chances for tornadic storms this weekend, Sunday they say. I'm actually off, so I might get to go storm spotting for the NWS this time.

So, yeah, it's spring time in Oklahoma.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Supposed to have our first good chances for tornadic storms this weekend, Sunday they say. I'm actually off, so I might get to go storm spotting for the NWS this time.

So, yeah, it's spring time in Oklahoma.
Stay safe my friend. Do you have one of those specially built vehicles? I have some ham radio friends that have one and are part of the Skywarn Network. Closest I ever got to a tornado was one that stopped just two blocks away from my house. Talk about the hygiene malfunction I had on that one.

QAPLA!