Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 AM

Default Cant get 003 driver to work on PC

What is the correct procedure on PC for loading 003 driver ?

I have been using my 003 rack for many years on my Macbook pro, but would like to use it on my newer PC....which has more modern VST's

Its a HP Pavilion i5 laptop (quad core), Win 8.1 - 32 bit installed( not 64).Using PT 7.4 le, .. (Untill can afford to upgrade whole system.)

I downloaded the 003 Avid driver,and it installed exe. OK...

I went to devices manager, sound and video to 'Update driver',found Avid drivers, but when I select 003 driver it begins install( the bar appears saying loading,gets halfway, then PC crashes during process,saying was a problem with wares, and goes into restart.
( I did try disabling all current audio drivers).
I'm happy to use a more recent version of PT on the PC if this would help.

Possible causes_
1. Is it cause I have 32 bit win 8.1 installed, and require 64 version.
2. Do I have to have 003 connected at the time of driver install
3. I have no firewire on my PC so I'm using a cheapo firewire to USB adaptor. I don't know if adaptor works ...like catch 22. no driver, no rack.
4. PT 7.4, but surely the rack should work without PT as audio driver ( like it does on Mac)

Any suggestion are very welcome.
Thanx Guys

Last edited by nellyslide; 06-26-2017 at 04:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 AM

Default Cant get 003 driver to work on PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyslide View Post
What is the correct procedure on PC for loading 003 driver ?

I have been using my 003 rack for many years on my Macbook pro, but would like to use it on my newer PC....which has more modern VST's

Its a HP Pavilion i5 laptop (quad core), Win 8.1 - 32 bit installed( not 64).Using PT 7.4 le, .. (Untill can afford to upgrade whole system.)

I downloaded the 003 Avid driver,and it installed exe. OK...

I went to devices manager, sound and video to 'Update driver',found Avid drivers, but when I select 003 driver it begins install( the bar appears saying loading,gets halfway, then PC crashes during process,saying was a problem with wares, and goes into restart.

( I did try disabling all current audio drivers).

I'm happy to use a more recent version of PT on the PC if this would help.

Possible causes_

1. Is it cause I have 32 bit win 8.1 installed, and require 64 version.

2. Do I have to have 003 connected at the time of driver install

3. I have no firewire on my PC so I'm using a cheapo firewire to USB adaptor. I don't know if adaptor works ...like catch 22. no driver, no rack.

4. PT 7.4, but surely the rack should work without PT as audio driver ( like it does on Mac)

Any suggestion are very welcome.

Thanx Guys
There are multiple things here that are problems. First, Avid is not part of the Windows update service so you most definitely should not be trying to update the 003 driver via the device manager. If you want to update the driver, download the update from Avid and install it.

Second, there is no such thing as a FireWire to USB adapter. Yes, I know you can buy them but as you have discovered, they don't work. The FireWire protocol and the USB protocol are not compatible so you can't just adapt one to the other. If you had a desktop with an open expansion slot, you'd be able to add a FireWire PCIe card.

Third, Pro Tools cannot load VSTs. If you want to do this, you'll need a VST to RTAS adapter.

Last, there's no guarantee 7.4 LE will run problem free on Windows 8.1 since it was never approved for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Cant get 003 driver to work on PC

There's the first issue. Until this is fixed with a compatible FW card, you are dead in the water.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 07-04-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There's the first issue. Until this is fixed with a compatible FW car, you are dead in the water.
Even after that he will still be unfortunate.

Always remember the best way to run old Pro Tools is on a computer from that era.
Newer computer means newer version of PT is required at least if you do go to one of the newer versions you will gain features and interface freedom.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:58 AM

Thanx for your input guys..... I realise it works with its own era equipment.
Been using that way for years , on my Mac book Pro ,and works ok.

A friend suggested I could get it going on a PC... and it would of been a good temporary upgrade to studio. Until I can afford new equipment.

I did download driver from Avid site,and was trying to select it as main pc driver, seems I should not of dome this , as pc can assign different drivers from inside diff apps's.

VST's....I meant Virtual racks n synths...Yes , your right,RTAS, (been living in past too long, with my ancient studio !!)

I realise pci route on a desktop, but i have a laptop, with no pci slots.

May research an external pci box, to usb...to give me the 1394 firewire ,I need.