Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Avid wants access to my iLok account??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Yes, it would be nice to have someone from Avid chime in to clarify this.
I will have to check later to see if I can 'un-link' Avid from my iLok account.
If they already have an agreement with iLok to be able to manage our accounts then why would they request my iLok password?? The more I think about it the more I am not liking this idea. I have a couple HD assets in my account and I'll be irate if Avid goes in and starts messing with those.
I also found it interesting that they give you iLok assets for PT 10, 11, 12 and PT 2016. Doesn't look like there will be a PT13. I'd guess that after PT 2016 there will be a PT 2017, etc.
I was enver asked for my password when buying a plugin from avid or a third party vendor. All they asked was the Ilok account name. Even if it was in app, Avid would not need the password to deposit the license. Although managing the license so it's placed automatically on the ilok used by your PT session would require access to your Ilock account.... I'll ask around about that.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Although managing the license so it's placed automatically on the ilok used by your PT session would require access to your Ilock account.... I'll ask around about that.
Thanks Manny, I appreciate any info at all. It was bizarre and I really wish I took a screen shot before moving on.

I'm going to go and change my iLok password when I get home just to be on the safe side.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 03-27-2015, 10:33 AM

Default Avid wants access to my iLok account??

Quote:
Thanks Manny, I appreciate any info at all. It was bizarre and I really wish I took a screen shot before moving on.

I'm going to go and change my iLok password when I get home just to be on the safe side.

Manny hasn't yet upgraded to 12 yet so he hasn't experienced the iLok account linking. Entering your iLok account password is how the account is verified as being yours. If verified, your ILok account is then linked to your Avid account. The only question that I want clarity over is whether or not Avid keeps the password on file. I doubt it since they don't need it and you can always change your iLok account password at will.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-27-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
I would never give out my iLok password whoever asks for it.

AVID can access your account if they need to, without your password.
They can easily deposit/delete/surrender licenses if needed without your pass.

That should be good enough ...
I agree.

I would never give the password.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM

I've linked my Ilok account with Avid Master account.

Of course, you need to enter your iLok username and password for confirmation. The same goes for linking Facebook with Tweeter, Ebay and Paypal, etc. Nothing new.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't want to get people worked up but it just struck me as strange so I figured instead of using my ASC call on day one I'd try here first.
Its good you posted especially if you say you handed over your password but you have pulled the pin now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
A big reason why Avid moved to iLok account linking is to help prevent mis-deposited licenses. I too prefer to manually manage my licenses and iLoks, and while I have never mis-deposited a license, many others have. So account verification and linking will save Avid from having to provide service in fixing deposit errors, and it will save customers from being in limbo up until they get their deposit error fixed.
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by denka View Post
I've linked my Ilok account with Avid Master account.

Of course, you need to enter your iLok username and password for confirmation. The same goes for linking Facebook with Tweeter, Ebay and Paypal, etc. Nothing new.
Yes thats it…..OP is thinking its been handed over.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Here's the info we got

"iLok account user ID and Password are entered through an iFrame from iLok. This is a service they provide and it is secure. Avid does not have access to your iLok account password data in this scenario."

Hope that helps

Wave-T.com
Old 03-27-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Here's the info we got

"iLok account user ID and Password are entered through an iFrame from iLok. This is a service they provide and it is secure. Avid does not have access to your iLok account password data in this scenario."

Hope that helps
Thanks Manny, I appreciate it!

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 03-27-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
That may not actually work. If its working the way i think it is, seems like Avid get access via this iFrame set up as Avid do not physically type in your password. Having access to your password is different from having access to your ilok account. I just checked my ilok account and there is this in there. The Revoke Access is a highlighted button to execute.
Hmmmm

AvidAccess Granted 03/23/2015………...Revoke Access
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 PM

Not trying to be snarky but Avid doesn't seem able to deposit their OWN assets in their OWN user accounts - how can we trust them with a 3rd party account?

(Still no PT12 in my account)