Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2015, 02:56 AM

Default Does PT12 come on CD or is it downloadable?

I have PT9 and I now want to upgrade to PT12. If I go on the Avid website and purchase the update, do I have to wait until a package has been shipped to my house before I can start using it, or will I, as soon as I paid, get access to a link and download it?

Also, If I choose this upgrade...

...do I own PT12 after having paid the €214,20, or do I have to pay each year in order to keep it?

Last question: Can I wipe my hard drive and install the update from scratch on OSX El Capitan, or does it have to be installed on top of PT9?
Old 12-12-2015, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Does PT12 come on CD or is it downloadable?

Hej

You will get a download with PT10/11/12 in your avid account after you purchase the upgrade plan.

You get one year of upgrades with that price $199 and if you don't pay when the annual plan runs out next year you will have the last version to keep when you stopped paying and if you want back in after a while you can either buy a new PT license or go the subscription route at $25-$30 a month.

You will still have the license you had when you stopped paying so the upgrade is still a Perpetual license but no more updates or support. If you are eligeble for the Added Value content with some extra plugins you will not be able to use ithem if you decide to stop your plan.

And you should definitely do a clean install and you don't install over an old PT9 version IMHO. Buy a new SSD drive and start fresh.

Also make sure your 3rd party plugins if you have any are ported to the new AAX64 bit format as the RTAS versions in PT9 are dead after PT10 so in 11 and up you can only run AAX64 bit versions.

There are a few Wrappers out that can run VST versions of plugins that hasn't got to AAX64 yet and you should read up on all this yourself so you understand whats what

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
You get one year of upgrades with that price $199 and if you don't pay when the annual plan runs out next year you will have the last version to keep when you stopped paying and if you want back in after a while you can either buy a new PT license or go the subscription route at $25-$30 a month.
Thanks for your extensive and informative answer, but where did you get $199 from? It says the upgrade is €214 ($235).

Last edited by sb_stefan; 12-19-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_stefan View Post
Thanks for your extensive and informative answer, but where did you get $199 from? It says the upgrade is $214 ($235).
Yes I know, it is the taxes for us swede's!

Sorry for any confusion on my part

I am soo used to posting here and assumed everyone was paying in USD.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Yes Sir, I had a similar surprise just yesterday.
Avid tax for foreigners + your local government tax added + exchange rate !
I find it unprofessional and negligent on Avid's part to not display this info when you putting your $$ on their product.

BTW, there is no known way around it, unless you move to USA

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 12-20-2015, 08:36 PM

CD what's that!!

Just kidding man. I haven't used a CD in over two years. Everything is downloadable nowadays.