Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Default AIR Instruments - How to move the 20gb Strike library (only strike) to HDD

Trying to make some room on my main SSD so im moving some libraries I never use over to my external HD so they dont have to load from my SDD. Id still like to keep the libraries I use on my SSD since working off my HDD can get slow..but lets not make this thread about that.. Just curious how I can move the Strike library to my external but still keep the rest of the AIR creative collection loading from the "Air Music Technology" Folder in 'Applications'.

Long story short- I wanna move strike to an external drive so it doesnt load from my SSD anymore in order to clear up space on SSD. But I want to keep the rest of the AIR Bundle on my SSD. I just never use Strike or Transufer so might as well store it and save 25gb.

Last edited by DBK; 06-29-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:23 AM

Default Re: AIR Instruments - How to move the 20gb Strike library (only strike) to HDD

Somewhere in the settings for Strike, you can specify where the library files are located. Can't point you exactly at it as I'm away from my rig at the moment.

But, short answer is, just move the entire library folder to where you want, then instantiate Strike and reset where the library is located.

I seem to remember that with one update to Strike, it actually came up with a message box saying it couldn't find the library andcasking you to point Strike to it. Can't guarantee it still dos that now though,
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: AIR Instruments - How to move the 20gb Strike library (only strike) to HDD

Of all the great sounding instruments AIR makes, Strike is NOT one of them!

However, a cool trick I use Strike a lot for is creating beats. It has probably the single best Groove/Midi editor of any "Acoustic" drum VI. Then you can drag out the midi as GM and use it with any other drum VI.

You just have to put up with horrible sounding drums while you create the groove. I have always wished they would open up the architecture and allow 3rd party libraries just so I could use the editor.

I can't stand all this "Groove" template stuff you find in EZ or Slate, ect. They sound much better, but I have never once found a beat that fit.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Somewhere in the settings for Strike, you can specify where the library files are located.
Yep - click on Spanner/Wrench at the base of Strike 2's Browser (see attached image)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-05-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
Of all the great sounding instruments AIR makes, Strike is NOT one of them! ... You just have to put up with horrible sounding drums ...
On the KIT page, you can import your own Samples.

You can have Strike 2 playing its loop using another Drum VI’s sounds - without the Strike kit, by muting Strike Ch15 and only using Strike Ch2 – see attached images

For anybody else who hasn't tried this already - to MIDI Export with Strike 2 in Pro Tools:

Select MIDI (RECORD EXPORT box) - hit red record button - then record a Strike loop (or use the Editor to create your own).

Grab “FULL” first – drag it to the TRACKS list in Pro Tools.
“FULL” = Channel 15 (it only plays Strike).
Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK”.

Next press “GM” - record (the same) MIDI again – drag it to the TRACKS list. Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK".
“GM” = Channel 2 – this is General Midi – you can now add an Instrument Track – add (for example) Addictive Drums (or BOOM or Structure etc) - set Strike Ch.2's output to Addictive Drums etc - then play Addictive Drums etc from the standard GM (Strike 2).

So now your expanded kit can become Strike playing Strike, coupled with Strike also playing the same loop in Addictive Drums etc
Or, as mentioned above, you can have Strike playing its loop in Addictive Drums etc - without the Strike kit.

I also enjoy recording Strike 2 by allocating separate Tracks for individual Kit components, as well as separate stereo Tracks for OH/Room/Talkback mics.
I've found the "original sounds" can come alive, after some "tweaking" on the MIX page - inserting EQ/Compression etc - there's a choice of 22 FX.

Boomeranging (woops!) - on the KIT page, you can import your own Samples.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-05-2021 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
On the KIT page, you can import your own Samples.

You can have Strike 2 playing its loop using another Drum VI’s sounds - without the Strike kit, by muting Strike Ch15 and only using Strike Ch2 – see attached images

For anybody else who hasn't tried this already - to MIDI Export with Strike 2 in Pro Tools:

Select MIDI (RECORD EXPORT box) - hit red record button - then record a Strike loop (or use the Editor to create your own).

Grab “FULL” first – drag it to the TRACKS list in Pro Tools.
“FULL” = Channel 15 (it only plays Strike).
Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK”.

Next press “GM” - record (the same) MIDI again – drag it to the TRACKS list. Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK".
“GM” = Channel 2 – this is General Midi – you can now add an Instrument Track – add (for example) Addictive Drums (or BOOM or Structure etc) - set Strike Ch.2's output to Addictive Drums etc - then play Addictive Drums etc from the standard GM (Strike 2).

So now your expanded kit can become Strike playing Strike, coupled with Strike also playing the same loop in Addictive Drums etc
Or, as mentioned above, you can have Strike playing its loop in Addictive Drums etc - without the Strike kit.

I also enjoy recording Strike 2 by allocating separate Tracks for individual Kit components, as well as separate stereo Tracks for OH/Room/Talkback mics.
I've found the "original sounds" can come alive, after some "tweaking" on the MIX page - inserting EQ/Compression etc - there's a choice of 22 FX.

Boomeranging (woops!) - on the KIT page, you can import your own Samples.
I am aware of the features, but I was specifically speaking about how good the editor is, and that you can not have full 3rd party libraries installed like you can with Kontakt, UVI, ect. Even Slate and Toontrack offer in house libraries. That is what I was speaking of.

I really wish that AIR would open up the architecture like BFD did so 3rd party libraries can be ported to use the editor!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I am aware of the features, but I was specifically speaking about how good the editor is, and that you can not have full 3rd party libraries installed like you can with Kontakt, UVI, ect. Even Slate and Toontrack offer in house libraries. That is what I was speaking of.

I really wish that AIR would open up the architecture like BFD did so 3rd party libraries can be ported to use the editor!
Thanks Kris

I just posted your request on the “Feature Suggestions” page of the AIR VI BETA FORUM.
Will post any info received (if and when I get a reply).

I’m obviously missing something here.
Can you please tell me what benefit your request would add, compared with just setting up Strike 2 with imported Samples?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Thanks Kris

I just posted your request on the “Feature Suggestions” page of the AIR VI BETA FORUM.
Will post any info received (if and when I get a reply).

I’m obviously missing something here.
Can you please tell me what benefit your request would add, compared with just setting up Strike 2 with imported Samples?
If you follow this link it leads you to a BFD search that will show you that BFD licences out the player, much like Kontakt to 3rd party sample makers to create multi velocity, multi - hit, packs.

This is what I want Strike to have as the sounds it ships with are less than desirable, but the editor is second to none!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 07-05-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
If you follow this link it leads you to a BFD search that will show you that BFD licences out the player, much like Kontakt to 3rd party sample makers to create multi velocity, multi - hit, packs.

This is what I want Strike to have as the sounds it ships with are less than desirable, but the editor is second to none!
I’m obviously still missing something – so please bear with me!
Looking at your link (the “souped-up” BFD Expansion Pack Samples) – you could print these to Audio and import them to Strike 2.

Other than this, what else do you want?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
I’m obviously still missing something – so please bear with me!
Looking at your link (the “souped-up” BFD Expansion Pack Samples) – you could print these to Audio and import them to Strike 2.

Other than this, what else do you want?
As far as I know, Strike only supports single sample, single velocity import, and allows you to audition single samples within a folder.

To make a realistic performance, you need to have multi-velocity, multi-hit, samples for each kit piece.

I just checked the manual to verify it. Unless they never updated the manual and added the feature, which would make me happy!

Kris
May the music move you