Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 AM

Default Re: MTRX/DADMAN output to multiple Spkr Outputs simultaneously with same stereo sourc

I used to have to do this years ago with certain rap clients when the Meyer HD1s wouldn't go loud enough. It was easy with the Trident console we had, as the speaker set switches on the monitor section were latching. I heard that after I left that studio, the next guy they had turned the HD1s up so loud that they vibrated off the stands and fell onto the floor, which required being sent back to Meyer to be repaired. I heard that when they got them back, they tied them down to the stands with ratchet straps

Sorry for the OT post.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:58 PM

Default Re: MTRX/DADMAN output to multiple Spkr Outputs simultaneously with same stereo sourc

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just my 2 cents; this is something I would never do because of all the phase and timing issues inherent in running multiple speakers with the same sound. I guess its 30+ years of live sound(IOW, this has way more chance of sounding bad than good)
Indeed. Pick one set of monitors and turn them up

Although, I suppose, perhaps you have a set in the live room for band listening, RainbowStudio used to have a very nice pair of B&Ws for this.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
BScout has the exact idea. Here's what I would do:

Jeff

Thanks! I extrapolated from your example and got it working - it requires selecting a speaker set and then a folddown config. Using my little virtual Mom, I have those two buttons mapped to MIDI notes and via Keyboard Maestro can trigger it from one button on a Streamdeck. Very nice and super easy to set up!

I note several people saying that using two sets of speakers this way probably sounds bad... you are probably right. Anecdotally, this particular setup sounds awesome in my room... but again, haha, you are probably right. I'll do a bit more A/B'ing.

My nickname for the virtual MOM device is StepMOM. It does work very well... and it doesn't require a physical MOM. It shows up as a MOM in DADMan and I simply mapped the buttons to MIDI notes - it will listen to whatever MIDI controller you put in the config file. I am not sure what I will do with it... TBD!

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2021, 04:07 AM

Any chance you'd share some more info about your "stepMOM' setup / config?
Old 11-30-2021, 09:06 PM

Jeff - I have been trying to do this for a couple days. I have 3 sets of near fields. I used to run them 1 set at a time with the sub always on in stereo monitoring on an analog monitor controller. My hope was to have my sub in a speaker match-up created in custom groups / fold Downs (as per the idea in the screenshot links you posted) aka party mode. Just stereo pairs plus sub taking stereo not 2.1. BUT when I get to assigning, my fold down assignment columns are blank. What am I missing?

(BTW - the device is incredible - love it - just this item to solve ...)

Quote:
BScout has the exact idea. Here's what I would do:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mza9y1kf8...YcyoryNUa?dl=0

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3659.jpg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3660.jpg (70.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3661.jpg (66.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmillaudio View Post
Any chance you'd share some more info about your "stepMOM' setup / config?

Yes! I have had a few inbound requests... so I have started the process of cleaning up the code and documenting things. It will likely take another few weeks. In short...
* There is some info that you put in a config file
* When you start it up, it will show up in the Device List in Dadman
* You attach to it, just like a hardware device (Dadman thinks its a MOM - it has an IP, unit type, etc).
* In Monitor Profile, you attach to it and then configure what you want the buttons in the 4 layers to do. Eg, toggle a source.
* MIDI messages will then "trigger" the buttons (1/2/3/A/B/C/etc) on your Virtual StepMOM - analogous to pressing the button on the hardware.
* If you need more buttons then a single StepMOM has... just run another instance.

I use it in conjunction with Keyboard Maestro. A trigger to KM then triggers a MIDI message - which is captured by StepMOM and the requisite action occurs.

More news coming soon!
Jared

--------------
Here is a convoluted real world example. My guitar signal is being fed to both a Helix Rack and Eleven Rack unit. I have a Flic button attached to the front of my Helix Rack... when I click it, the Flic controller triggers a Keyboard Maestro macro which sends out two MIDI notes, which are captured by StepMOM and it toggles input monitoring on the Helix AND Eleven inputs in the MTRX. So, from across the room, I can turn direct monitoring of the guitar off/on.

Because there isn't really a limit to the number of buttons with virtual MOMs, I have pretty much every input in the MTRX set up as a source in my monitor profile and then mapped to a StepMOM button and can easily turn them on/off. And... because I can tell the state of a given button, I can send an "all off" message to turn all monitoring off. This is something that you can't do with a physical box. You would have to push each button on each layer one at a time. I can do it with a single macro. A video would make this obvious.. will do that at some point.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:30 AM
Avid

Flip over to Light Mode on the macOS - as there is currently a bug in Dark Mode where you can't see the values in the DADman Fold Down matrix.

best,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
Jeff - I have been trying to do this for a couple days. I have 3 sets of near fields. I used to run them 1 set at a time with the sub always on in stereo monitoring on an analog monitor controller. My hope was to have my sub in a speaker match-up created in custom groups / fold Downs (as per the idea in the screenshot links you posted) aka party mode. Just stereo pairs plus sub taking stereo not 2.1. BUT when I get to assigning, my fold down assignment columns are blank. What am I missing?

(BTW - the device is incredible - love it - just this item to solve ...)
MTRX FAQ
Old 12-01-2021, 07:02 AM

Thankyou! That solved it. Dadman crashes when I switch color modes FYI. That speaker match up / party situation is now working for me! Analog monitor controller is finally gone

Quote:
Flip over to Light Mode on the macOS - as there is currently a bug in Dark Mode where you can't see the values in the DADman Fold Down matrix.

best,

Jeff
Old 12-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Amazing, thanks Jared! Looking forward to it.