Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 can't find M-Audio hardware

I know this issue has been discussed quite a bit in the past, but I have tried all of the suggested solutions from this forum, as well as what I could find from a pure Google search.

Here are the details: I have created a new Vista box so as to be able to run the older version of Pro Tools (Pro Tools 8 M-Powered). All of the drivers are up to date, not to mention the latest PT 8 update, and I have the Vista SP 2 in place as well. The only device I want Pro Tools to recognize is my Oxygen 25 midi controller. I have the latest drivers for it and Vista recognizes it fine.

There are no other audio devices save for the Realtek on board audio, and I have verified that is the default output device. Does version 8 of PT not know how to work with the Oxygen 25 controller? I'm running out of ideas as to what else this might be caused by.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 can't find M-Audio hardware

Did you disable USB power management? It shuts off any USB ports it "thinks" are not being used.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:35 PM

Pro Tools 8 M-Powered only works with compatible M-Audio audio interfaces. If you do not have an M-Audio audio interface plugged in, PT will not run.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM

The OP is referring to a midi keyboard controller. I had the same issue (although I think it was with PT 10). I had an older M-audio midi controller (I am pretty sure it was an Axiom) that had been made obsolete. It used to be plug & play.

I couldn't believe it when I found out I could not use it any longer. They just didn't make the needed drivers. It especially made no sense since Avid haad purchased M_Audio in the interim.

But my keyboard was pre-buyout, and only the newer models (made and sold by Avid) were compatible. And isn't that just in keeping with the Avid (formerly Digidesign) way?

Old hardware becomes outdated - that's the way it is. You just reach a point where you can't find the drivers.

BTW: You should be able to still use if you power it with an external power supply and just use midi out.