Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-12-2007, 04:12 PM

Default F-Key suggestion

Hi there,

I'm a high level user with a feature request. I'm submitted hundreds of feature requests through the digidesign site, but they have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes. Anyway, I find the fastest way for me to edit and work on protools is by using the F-keys in the "claw technique." I put my left hand fingers on the fkeys and my right hand on my kensington, and I'm as fast as the computer will let me be. The problem is with the multi-function tools (ie: time expansion/contraction crop, loop crop, regular crop, etc.). I just wish there would be some way to LOCK the function of the f-keys so that an accidental double-tap won't result in time stretching your audio. I have a lot of friends who also make their living editing for top level LA engineers, and they have the same complaint. In fact, when I was with Mike Shipley, the digi-guy who was showing us the preview of PT7 accidently double-tapped the crop tool and time stretched his audio!!! The same applies to relative grid...that gets me all the time!!!

I hope this gets through to someone who can fix this!

-Justin
Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: F-Key suggestion

<<<<<I'm a high level user with a feature request. >>>>
Oh my goodness. watch those levels! You should know better. oh.. I get it. There are many "high level" users here, but you are the first to idenity yourself as such. Congrats. I'm sure you have their attention now.

<<<<I'm submitted hundreds of feature requests through the digidesign site, but they have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.>>
I do know that they acually read and evaluate them, and if they have merit, usually a response follows. I figure after a hundred or so they may have stopped opening yours. Insanity = repeating the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

<<<<<<using the F-keys in the "claw technique." I put my left hand fingers on the fkeys and my right hand on my kensington, and I'm as fast as the computer will let me be.>>>>>
Never heard the "claw technique" mentioned in the manual... perhaps that could be feature request # 278... and "my right hand on my kensington" I never heard it referred to as a "kensington". You must be right-handed... and that is quick.!!!

<<<<<<<I hope this gets through to someone who can fix this!>>>>>>
Try the search feature and you will see this has been discussed many times, and still no fix. But, maybe a high level user such as yourself can get something done around here!!!!

and, yes... I am a wise-guy. Welcome to the DUC. SB
Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 PM

Wow,

Listen, I'm not some arrogant prick. As for "high level user," I actually got that term from a Digi Rep. I have my way of doing things, and it works well for me. however, this is one thing that has bothered me and a lot of the other engineers that I know. So, I think this is a feature that might have some merit. Just a little button by the tools that says lock...that's it. I'm not trying to tell the world how high and mighty I am, I just want the programmer who might read this to know that I'm not a hobbyist, but someone who relies on this program to make my living. All this is about is adding to the usability of the F-keys.

As for submitting hundreds of requests...squeaky wheels get the grease. Its really annoying when the modes change, and that's, honestly, how I vent my frustration. Lets keep this thread civilized.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Hey Justin,
no harm, no foul. just having a go at it..... Seriously, you make a good point that has been made before, so maybe the squeeky wheel will get some grease. More and more I have been using the keyboard over the mouse and the control surface, and realizing how much faster I can perform certain functions. And, yes it does get a little awkward up in the F keys, so keep on sending those cards and letters.
It seems to me that there are not many "hobbiests" in the TDM forum, so for the most part you are in good company. Once again, know that no offence was intended, just a little cage rattling. SB
Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 PM

I'm a high level user with a feature request. I'm submitted hundreds of feature requests through the digidesign site, but they have fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.
Goody gumdrops! Say, would it be OK for us small-time weenies to forward some of our long-standing wish-list items to you? Surely, if you were to submit them a few hundred times, things would finally change ’round here.

Listen, I'm not some arrogant prick.
Of course not — that job’s taken. Then again, the-more-the-merrier. (Besides, now that we know, we will be listening.)

As for "high level user," I actually got that term from a Digi Rep.
We’ve all been waiting for Godot, and — finally — an official HLU comes forth. I gotta ask… are HLU membership perks anything like those enjoyed by firemen (i.e. scores of groupies coming by to drop off their baked goods)?

PS: what’s the best cleaning agent to keep that HLU badge all shiny?

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Hey Bailey,

I appreciate the response, and no offense taken. After reading my first post, it did sound quite arrogant. When I said it out loud with my inflection, it sounded perfectly fine. Whatever. I used to use the mouse and control surfaces, but I one of my buddies use "the claw," and he was the fastest PT editor I'd ever seen. The only thing that slowed him down was the computer speed. Anyway, lets cross our fingers that they figure out how to program that pref.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Just to be crystal clear for anyone else who reads this thread, saying that I'm a "high level user" (a term used by a Digidesign employee) does not mean that everyone else is a low-level user. It also doesn't mean that I'm the highest level user or the only high level user. I'm sure that there are THOUSANDS of high level users in the forum alone! So, please lets keep this thread civilized.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about this feature request. I do exactly the same technique when I am working fast, and I find the cycling tools to be annoying. Even more so when using ProControl to select the tools, as I cannot simply look at ProControl to confirm which tool is selected - I have to keep looking at the toolbar to see if it has toggled to another tool such as Time-Stretch-Trimmer.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:54 AM

<<<<<< I gotta ask… are HLU membership perks anything like those enjoyed by firemen (i.e. scores of groupies coming by to drop off their baked goods)? >>>>>

PS: what’s the best cleaning agent to keep that HLU badge all shiny?>>>>>>>> "strip silence".. works some of the time.

Andre, looks like you have coined a term/acronym.... HLU. I like it!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:13 AM

This is exactly how I have always edited, and I agree 100% about this feature. Since the new tools have been added, my editing has actually gotten slower because of how easy it is to unintentially select the alternate flavors of each tool.

I think a good way to do this would be to double-click the function key to lock or unlock the tool -- for example, double-click F6 to restrict it to only the regular trim tool, double-click again to unlock it. That'd make it quick and easy to use the alternate tools when you want them, while giving us the ability to avoid selecting them accidentally.