Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Crackling Audio & Glitches when using Digi 002 Rack + DP5

My hardware setup:

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz (latest version, 2GB RAM, 120GB 5400 RPM HD, 16GB free)
Digi 002 Rack (latest CoreAudio driver 7.3)
MOTU 828
Rocstor 500GB FW800 7200RPM HD

My software setup:

MacOS X 10.4.10 (extremely minimal barebones setup, everything laggy is deactivated)
Digital Performer 5.12 (128ms buffer, 2 stereo busses in project file, unused tracks disabled)

My problem:

I have the Digi 002 Rack set up at a 128ms buffer. Arturia ARP 2600 VI is running. There is a guitar mic coming in through Channel 1 on the Digi 002 Rack, that's being monitored on an amplifier. When we record, there will be subtle crackles in the recorded audio from the guitar track (not noticable during recording via the monitor). If the 2600's window is open, then the audio crackles horrendously (totally noticable during recording via the monitor). We don't get this problem when recording using a MOTU 828 at all the same settings.

Does the DigiDesign CoreAudio Driver 7.3 really cause that much more processor lag than the MOTU FireWire Audio drivers?? Because, it seems horribly worse. This is unusable at a 128ms setting. This is a top-of-the-line computer, very nice audio interface, and it ought to be able handle recording on three audio tracks + one MIDI track with a 128ms buffer while there is one single VI running. The MOTU 828 pulls it off just fine while recording 8 tracks laden with effects. Why would the Digi 002 Rack have this problem, even with otherwise dry tracks?

Now, I read that there is a 7.3.1 update for Pro Tools:
> > >
Fixed: On Intel-Based Macs, Snaps and Distortion Could Result When Using CoreAudio (Item #83316)
< < <
(http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=24450)

But when I go to the download page for the CoreAudio drivers, only the 7.3 version is posted. (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=24268)

So, is there a CoreAudio driver version 7.3.1 that is only available to people who pay for the 7.3.1 update, while on the other hand, people who are using the free drivers are stuck with a buggy 7.3 version? Or what is going on here?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Crackling Audio & Glitches when using Digi 002 Rack + DP

tl;dr: IS ANYONE OUT THERE USING DIGI 002 RACK WITH DP5 ON MACBOOK PRO 2.4GHZ WITH 128 MS LATENCY AND A VI WITH ANY MEASURE OF SUCCESS?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:44 PM

You will probably have better luck posting this on Unicornation.com

DP has been the worst Mac DAW for compatibility with Digi's Core Audio Manager for me. Logic 7 and 8 work fine, but DP 4.5-5.11 were never stable with my 002r. Granted, I'm using a dual G5, so there is that difference.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM

I *did* post on Unicornation.com. You know what they told me?

They said that the CoreAudio driver for Digi 002 Rack is a piece of s&*(@ and it will only work for using iTunes playback, but not for any sort of DAW work!!!!

Can you believe that!!!

Surely the DigiDesign CoreAudio driver is capable of recording sound without cracks and pops in it!!

But how do i get it to ???

Thanks!!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I *did* post on Unicornation.com. You know what they told me?

They said that the CoreAudio driver for Digi 002 Rack is a piece of s&*(@ and it will only work for using iTunes playback, but not for any sort of DAW work!!!!

Can you believe that!!!

Surely the DigiDesign CoreAudio driver is capable of recording sound without cracks and pops in it!!

But how do i get it to ???

Thanks!!
I've used my 002r with all sorts of other programs but I've never used DP before. I used to own a 828mkII a couple years ago and I found very little help from the forums over at Unicornation. Between that and other issues I had with MOTU support, I doubt I'll ever purchase something from them again. It truly was a bad experience.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com
Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Hey Dark, I posted this over at UnicorNation:

Dark Goob,

I noticed from your post over at the DUC that you were using the Arturia Arp 2600 VI. I think this is part of the problem. I have the original Arturia Vintage Collection, and the only one of the bunch that seems to work properly with the DP / Digi 002 combo is the Minimoog. Don't ask me why. In other words, it's an Arturia issue, and not just a DP or DigiCoreAudio issue.

I also have a Digi 002r which I use with DP. It can be flakey at times for sure, but most of the time it works for me. What happens to me is after I instantiate say an Arp 2600, audition a patch (which sounds fine), and THEN push play or record, the volume level of the ARP jumps way up and causes distortion. The only work around I've found is to lower the fader on the mixing board, or else tweek the Arturia patch to get a lower volume.

Once you've worked out the kinks, DP and the Digi 002r can work nicely together. Getting the right combination of drivers is really important. For example, DP 4.12 played nicely with DigiCoreAudio 6.4, but was totally unuseable with 6.5.2... and the early version 7 drivers were horrendous. I recently upgraded to PTLE 7.4 which includes the latest DigiCoreAudio drivers (also 7.4) and they seem to be pretty solid with DP 5.11.

I've been using various flavors of DP with Pro Tools LE gear for years, and there have been good times, and there have been bad times. Mostly good times... so don't give up hope!

Update

Just made an interesting discovery. I tried making a new user account, opened up several DP sessions where Arturia synths were always distorting through the DIGI 002r and, what do you know? NO DISTORTION! Go figure.

----------

Cheers