Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Organizing session copies on CD\'s, DVD\'s..curious.

My session copy CD's and DVD's have become quite numerous, and I haven't organized them as well as I should. I have labeled the disks themselves, but many are stacked in the CD holders that blank CD's come in. So I basically have to go through a stack to find 'X' session.

I need to organize them better and am curious about how some of you organize yours. Do you have labeled cases on shelves, for instance, or........?

thanks, Roy
Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Organizing session copies on CD\'s, DVD\'s..curi

Roy, I'm in the same boat, I do exactly what you do right now. I want to get them organized and easy to browse/find, and looking less like clutter on my bookshelf/desktop. I was looking for a solution for this problem on Saturday, and I saw these; Allsop album 64 which I really liked, (classy and stylish) though I'm still considering options.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Don't know if it's the best method, but I put them on spindals in chronological order. Yeah, not very hi-tech. I also have them backed up on an HD.

BTW, Sure miss Memphis..
CORSAIR XMS3 12GB 1600Mhz
2 X WD 1TB Caviar Black 64 GB cache

MOTU Traveller PT2018
MacBook Pro Mojave
16GB DDR3
Old 02-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Organizing session copies on CD\'s, DVD\'s..curious.

I've gone through the same dilemma myself recently.
My solution was to buy some really cheap "inter office" envelopes that fit in a standard drawer with little tabs on top, so I could see the project's name.
All CDs/DVDs and associated paperwork can easily fit in them.
So..when i need a file, I'd just pull out the project folder and ...bam ! All is there..

just my way of doing it...
cheers,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Roy, you need one of these: HP Optical Jukebox
Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 PM

I've found that the only real important thing is to take the time to properly LABEL everything.
I keep all backup CDs/DVDs alphabetically and by year in shoeboxes... Nothing fancy, but I can find what I need very quickly... Also helps to keep an archive log (in MS Excel) that you can sort by date / name / etc... Also, keep your tracking / cue sheets folded in the CD insert area!!!
www.voodoopilot.com
Old 02-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Roy,

I've used CAN-AM cabinets in the past...specifically the one halfway down this page in the little video. They have tons of colors to choose from....and are built like a brick house (seriously, they weigh a ton empty)! They're kind of expensive too.

I've been eyeing the bestrade DC300 now that I've started working for myself.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Label the cd's in a sensible way, always the name and date on there, and the number of discs the project has.

Stuff like "latest version" isnt any good. Stuff like "SongName 10/10/2005 disc 2/3" is much much better

I usually just write that on the disc, and slap them in a cupboard. Some time ago i bought one of those label-machines because my handwriteing is pretty cryptic. Then i print it out on a lable and slap that on the CD. I remove the inlay so you see the cd itself. Any docs i will put on the cd itself in electronic form.

If i get more stuff, i will find those sheets with pockets on them to put in a folder. Then you can have around 5 cd's on one page, with room to spare for stuff like cuesheets etc.

But writing on the discs what's actually on there helps a lot. Alos try to burn only one session to one disc. Not too hard to do because cd's are so very cheap nowadays...

Bastiaan
Old 02-21-2005, 04:30 PM

I built a database into my website, that allows me to quickly login, and create an archive record, with a session description, and DVD number. The Database is searchable by Artist name.

All my CD's and DVD's get a number, and get copied to a folder with that number on an FTP server with 2 160gb HD's for further redundant bakup.

The DVD archive is stored at home, incase the studio get's broken into, or burns down, and the FTP server is at the studio, incase something happens to my house.

I obvioustly won't post the "login" information to create and delete records in my database, however, if you type "Dayna" without quotes into the search bar at LINK NO LONGER EXISTS ]THIS LINK[/url] (Dayna one of the artist's who's record I'm currently working on) you'll see a raw database query with no GUI or record change, submit, or delete features, basicaly, this is the raw "engine" in the database.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-21-2005, 04:36 PM

I get the 3 ring binder sleeves. Put all the relevant files into the sleeves along with any cue-sheets, notes... I like the binders instead of the books because you can include paper info and because they're sturdier. Plus you can label the binder spine with all the projects within.

This free directory printing tool has helped me a lot. http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jdirprint.htm

Will