Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Default I Jumped the gun with Yosemite Install - Help Needed

Whoh little Pony !!! ..., seem I got excited at the news that pro Tools will handle yosemite .............,

- and I have already done the Yosemite upgrade already (ie; not a clean install)

I had the Yosemite upgrade sitting there in my APP Store as a free upgrade and I just clicked on it (and installed it -OOPS ) ie ; before I read that recent thread on optimisation

Sorry to have to ask ... , but ..., how can I download the full app for Yosemite from apple (to a separate external drive I am guessing) ..., so that I can do a clean fresh install ? ...,

- Or is there another way this is done ? ...............................................,

- Whats the procedure involved exactly ? ..., as Im still not familiar with the nitty gritty of the Mac

fyi (RE; my setup) ; I currently have the new Mac Pro and my current OS is located on my internal pcie , and this drive also contains some personal documents etc that id like to keep (if possible) with a personal custom folder hierarchy ....,

Also plugged into my computer are these external drives;

- my protools projects are all written to a separate drive along with my samples library (for all my V.Is)

- I do have a separate drive containing time machine backups , and another drive with carbon copy cloner backups.

- I am meticulous about having all the latest current updated versions of all my plug-ins etc (which are installed) and have saved the updated downloads to a drive also)

cheers ..., any help is much appreciated
Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 PM

Default Re: I Jumped the gun with Yosemite Install - Help Needed

Go to App Store / Purchases and click on the Download button, perhaps?
Old 12-23-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Go to App Store / Purchases and click on the Download button, perhaps?

That should be the way to do it, but try to drag and drop it after it downloads to a different location. Then install it on a separate clean drive or partition. Run tests, then if it works, reformat your system drive and go from there.

Good luck.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 AM

Use a USB stick to build an install image from the downloaded installer. I prefer the Terminal method:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10...install-drive/

Use an external hard drive and Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your current drive, and do a wipe / clean install (use Disk Utility from the USB installer) after all of your files are backed up. You can then put your Library plists and other preferences back if needed for other apps. You can also drag back documents, etc. Note you'll have to reinstall everything. I do this once per year and it really keeps my computer speed up to par and fixes app errors in upgrading.

Otherwise, you can build a time machine backup and use it to put everything back for you... I don't recommend this as much because it may bring back some problematic installs, etc.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Thank you kindly for you most helpful replies guys

Yes I have re-downloaded the 5.8Gb Yosemite download from the store. I have left this installer unopened and I will follow your links recommendations

I dont know why Apple had to made this task such a mission ?

..., On a windows install , you are given the choice to perform a clean fresh install, or just a basic update right from the start before you can click proceed - not so with mac

I will endeavour to follow through the clean install as soon as I re-psyche myself up to the task ..., as It's a mission I only went through few months ago when I bought my new Mac....., but is a mission worth doing

Its times like these that I really appreciate ilok (not starting an ilok discussion), as most of those non-ilok plugs and V.Is that use challenge /command type of authorisations are a real time consuming P.I.T.A (and I have many)

Once again guys , thank you greatly
Old 12-23-2014, 06:22 PM

All you have to do is launch internet recovery, format your hard drive from there and let it download and install Yosemite from there.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15