How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-14-2019, 10:50 PM

Default Re: -9173 errors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Have you tried turning Turbo Boost off? I had the same problem with CPU headroom (granted, years ago) where sessions that worked previously would stop working the day aftwer. Turning off Turbo Boost made my system in general much more reliable by using only the guaranteed always-on speeds of the CPU. I still run with Turbo Boost off and these days computers are so fast I don't miss any of the Turbo at all. Might not be your issue but if you haven't tried it it's worth a shot...
I thought that was a MacBook thing.

is there such a thing on an iMac?
Old 12-15-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I thought that was a MacBook thing.

is there such a thing on an iMac?
Turbo Boost is employed in every laptop, desktop and workstation class CPU from Intel since 2008. It is less of an issue in systems that have very good cooling, however it is time-limited in addition to thermally limited. My understanding is this is different to the AMD equivalent, which given enough cooling has no time-limitation and can run at turbo speeds perpetually. For this reason, Intel based systems of any class are best ran with Turbo Boost disabled if you are doing real-time critical work, such as audio playback/recording.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:26 AM

I’ve been experiencing this at the studio I own. We work with everyone from James Cameron to Sam Smith and this is simply not acceptable. I’ve almost taken legal recourse against Avid in the past in 2012/2013. I will not hesitate to file action against them if they continue to blatantly disregard these issues. I have not seen anyone from Avid respond on these forums. All of us are customers, many of which of us have paid 50k plus for these systems to be loaded with 3rd party plug-ins in order to conduct business. If ableton and logic are able to run without providing CPU errors, pro tools must as well. Considering they are what has been considered an industry standard for a decade or more.

If reached out to their senior support on Friday. So far it’s been weeks with this issue, I’m giving them a week to respond with a suitable fix or workaround.

I cannot even bounce a 3 minute session with 50 tracks. This is in a dual 6 core i9 2019 MacBook with 4 tb SSD and 64 gigs of ram. The highest end computer Apple was producing until the Mac Pro which we now have on order as well.

Changing to a different daw isn’t event an option considering that we can’t bounce a full track.

Avid has us by the balls and I yet no one is pissed enough to actually do anything?

I’ve seen this from Avid before. This is not new unfortunately and they will not provide assistance until someone stands up and fights.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomalibu View Post
I’ve been experiencing this at the studio I own. We work with everyone from James Cameron to Sam Smith and this is simply not acceptable. I’ve almost taken legal recourse against Avid in the past in 2012/2013. I will not hesitate to file action against them if they continue to blatantly disregard these issues. I have not seen anyone from Avid respond on these forums. All of us are customers, many of which of us have paid 50k plus for these systems to be loaded with 3rd party plug-ins in order to conduct business. If ableton and logic are able to run without providing CPU errors, pro tools must as well. Considering they are what has been considered an industry standard for a decade or more.

If reached out to their senior support on Friday. So far it’s been weeks with this issue, I’m giving them a week to respond with a suitable fix or workaround.

I cannot even bounce a 3 minute session with 50 tracks. This is in a dual 6 core i9 2019 MacBook with 4 tb SSD and 64 gigs of ram. The highest end computer Apple was producing until the Mac Pro which we now have on order as well.

Changing to a different daw isn’t event an option considering that we can’t bounce a full track.

Avid has us by the balls and I yet no one is pissed enough to actually do anything?

I’ve seen this from Avid before. This is not new unfortunately and they will not provide assistance until someone stands up and fights.
Do you have Turbo Boost disabled? Pro Tools is much more sensitive than other DAWs to this, but I find it to be much more stable with TB off.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:28 AM

Have not tried disabling that because we need these computers to edit video as well. We need all the speed we can get.

As users, we should not have to modify internal configurations to our computers that have been set in place by the manufacturers. Turbo boost, hyperthreading etc. if the computer comes with those items on, they are not officially stated by Avid in their optimization guide, there is a reason for such. In my opinion because they can have negative effects on other functions of your computer and avid doesn’t want that liability.

This is a joke, you all will thank us. I’ll have our company attorneys begin pursuing this on Monday.

Additionally Avid will need to compensate all of us for oss of income and business due to these software failures.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:18 AM

i agree Avid needs to find a solution this problem effects all protools users big and small!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Have not tried disabling that because we need these computers to edit video as well. We need all the speed we can get.
Switching it on and off is not a big deal. There is a utility called Turbo Boost Switcher Pro that costs $9,95. This allows you to turn it on and off at the click of a button, or even have it automatically switch boost on when certain apps are open.

Quote:
As users, we should not have to modify internal configurations to our computers that have been set in place by the manufacturers. Turbo boost, hyperthreading etc. if the computer comes with those items on, they are not officially stated by Avid in their optimization guide, there is a reason for such.
It's just basic computer maintenance. It's like maintaining a tape machine. Computers are not set-and-forget, no matter how much Apple would like to convince you of this. As soon as you have a device that can do multiple functions, there will be a certain amount of configuration required to optimise it for your specific needs. A video editor will spec out and set up a computer much differently to someone who records bands.

Quote:
In my opinion because they can have negative effects on other functions of your computer and avid doesn’t want that liability.
Depending on what you're screwing with...maybe...but enabling/disabling turbo boost will have no negative effect on your computer. On the contrary, with turbo boost disabled, you'll be running lower temperatures which will extend the life of your machine.

Quote:
This is a joke, you all will thank us. I’ll have our company attorneys begin pursuing this on Monday.

Additionally Avid will need to compensate all of us for oss of income and business due to these software failures.
Good luck with that. There are plenty of people running Pro Tools not experiencing the problems you're facing, which means it's a configuration/compatibility issue...these issues have existed for 35+ years and are just a given when dealing with computers. There are plenty of reasons to be pissed at Avid, holy **** I am so disappointed with them at this point, but I think you're approaching this from completely the wrong angle. How about that they're selling a subscription model for quicker updates and yet there are more bugs than ever before and many bugs that have existed forever that haven't been fixed yet...ones that don't have anything to do with hardware compatibility, purely software stuff (the CRAZY elastic audio rendering bug comes to mind immediately), or how their online store is pushing people to give up their perpetual licenses to crossgrade to subscription in such a sneaky way that people aren't realising this is happening (there is already a thread here with several people who have discovered they have given up their perpetual licenses without any proper warning...and this is just the people who have actually noticed at this point...I expect a lot of fallout from this in the coming months/years.)
Old 12-15-2019, 01:39 PM

I dont know if its worth it dude. I just stay on PT10 with a version frozen imac. I /we never have crashes.......if you absolutely need a newer specific VI then just sync midi a Logic or Cubase laptop running mojave or ? and ta da
Old 12-15-2019, 01:41 PM

We just absolutely refuse to change until these problems with errors and video drops are sorted out. Other peoples clients are obviously verrrry forgiving. we cant operate that way.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 AM

Disabling Turbo Boost (I use the $10 utility mentioned above) and following the steps AVID outlined here have eliminated the -9173 errors for me (so far at least).