Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 03-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Eq to make acoustic recording sound "plugged in" or "live"

pretty much what the title says... i hear a lot of songs where the acoustics in the album version almost sound plugged in as in that it has a slight electric-y feel/sound to it. it isn't dramatic, its subtle, but it makes a difference in my opinion. sounds like the acoustic was recorded completely dry, but plugged into an acoustic amp. Goo Goo Dolls are a great example of this, Especially their song "Sympathy".. any EQ's i can use or something?? I obviously dont want to record with the mic up to an acoustic amp. Then I'll lose quality.

p.s.- thoughts on plugging in and having one mic to the guitar like usual, and one to the amp, and mix in to desired sound???? yay or nay??

Pro Tools 12.7 (Student/Teacher Card and iLok) (ALL Stock plug ins; Never purchased any. (got Pro tools software through schooling))

Steinburg ur22 MKii (2 audio input; 2 instrument input; MIDI in, MIDI out)

Sterling audio MX5" Monitors (2)[/FONT][/FONT]
Old 03-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Eq to make acoustic recording sound "plugged in" or "live"

Quote:
I obviously dont want to record with the mic up to an acoustic amp. Then I'll lose quality.
I don't understand why you can't/don't want to record the direct feed as well as the amp, like the example you mentioned on the albums you like. No loss in quality.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system