Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Default 003 Rack Phantom Power Not Working

Hi,
Just bought a 003 rack late december and just bought a couple of condenser mics (rode, behringer) and have plugged them into the xlr inputs on the back of the rack and turned on the phantom power. however having done this, created tracks and pressed the record button to check levels i recieve no levels through pro tools. having tried playing with the gains on then front of the rack and retrying the proccess many times i have still not solved this problem. i am new to this system so i was wondering if im missing something out or the phantom power is not actually working on my rack. all other instruments work through the inputs, guitars, drum machines, bass etc...including an unpowered JTS mutipurpose mic. but still nothing from phantom powered condenser mics.
If anyone has any help they could give me that would be thoroughly apreciated as im new to this, a little stuck for ideas, and feeling a little out of depth and not sure if the phnatom doesnt work on my rack
Thanks Chris
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Default Re: 003 Rack Phantom Power Not Working

You played with the gains but did not mention if you switched over to Mic or Instrument, The button under the gain knob?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM

oh sorry yes iv switched on the mic/di and it still doesnt work, so confesed!! any ideas?? cheers
Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Well, you should not have to push the switch that's for instruments ( make it light yellow), you should be able to plug right in and turn on the phantom power and should be able to go without pushing the Mic/Instrument switch.
The only other thing I can think of is did you set up the input on the track, Analog 1, 2, 3 or 4 and have the output to Analog 1&2 ?( which it should be by default )
Other than that I would say try a different cable and check a different Condensor mic that a buddy has that you know works, If that does not work then you'll know it's the 003R if it does work then it's probably your mics or cables.
If you bought it in December you should still be covered under warranty so you could send it back or go back to the store where you bought it and try trouble shooting it there with thier equipment and a knowledgable sales rep who knows how to use the Digi stuff, Just some Ideas, Hope you get it worked out.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 AM

You may already know this but to help the newbies out there, phantom power only appears on the XLR connectors and requires that all 3 wires and fully connected thru (i.e. if you have a balanced mic cable with a broken connection on pin 1 at either end, a dynamic mic will work but a condenser will not). If none of this helps, I would contact DIGI as it sounds like a warrantee issue to me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2017, 11:52 AM

hey everyone
i got same problem and im really concern
my trs mic inputs are working normaly and they are ok (tested with dynamic MIC)
but when i connect Condenssor MIC (XLR INPUTS) Ijust got a weak noise when i turn on MID/DL Button .
is it broken ? can i rapair it ? or i can solve it
pppplllzzzz help me
tnx a lot /
Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 AM

Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 AM

If the quarter inch input works, you MUST change the input button to make the XLR work Start by connecting a dynamic mic to the XLR input. If that works, then you have successfully selected the proper input and can move to the next troubleshooting step. For me, that would be to test the mic cable with a cable tester(Behringer makes a good one for less than $40, or use a multi-meter). As I said earlier, a dynamic mic will work with a bad pin 1 connection, but a condenser mic will not. set your multi-meter to read DC volts and measure between pin 1 and 2(should read around 48V) and again between pin 1 and 3(should also read around 48V). If that checks out, then its likely the cable or the mic. If you DON'T see 48V on both pin 2 and 3(to pin 1) then you have lost phantom power somewhere inside the 003. The rack unit is pretty easy to work on, so I would pop the top and look for a loose connection(and re-seat anything that can come unplugged)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave