Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Default 003 + PT 12, unstable + no MIDI

I’ve been a Pro Tools user since the DIGI 001 came out, but my applications have never been particularly intense. I’m a conventionally trained (analog) recording engineer (yes, from the dark ages— back in the ‘80’s), and I have slowly been transitioning to Pro Tools for 15 years or so. At first, I was mainly just transferring old analog masters to digital. These days I’m dealing with sessions that use typically 20 or 30 tracks at most.

I’ve been using my 002 (console) since those came out, and currently use it with ProTools 10 (and I believe OS 10.6.8) but I have some current needs that are requiring me to migrate to Pro Tools 12 and a DIGI 003. That’s where my problems are beginning.

I can setup and operate a basic session, but the software seems unstable, prone to freeze and lockup and I can’t get MIDI working at all. I’ve started (more than once) with a clean install of the OS on a new hard drive. I’ve downloaded PT 12, and what appears to be the correct drivers from what I can determine to cleanly install everything. I have configured the MIDI setup correctly based on what I read in the manuals and see on youtube tutorials, etc.

The 003 appears to be working correctly. Certainly all the self-teseting seems okay. The midi self-test on the 003 shows no concerns. I need to connect to an external MIDI keyboard. I have tried multiple cables (all new from sealed packages, and all will work for the midi test where you loop through a cable) but I can’t get any response to connecting the 003 to a midi keyboard.

I understand the difference between MIDI and audio connections, and the keyboard works fine as far as the audio, either externally, or to an audio input. This is all a midi concern.

I have tried several extra MIDI devices, including a couple of Korgs and a Yamaha keyboard. None of them seems to send or receive any data, though I can control one keyboard with another, so clearly the midi works on the keyboards.

I sometimes I get a strange series of clicks and pops from the computer speaker (although I’m running traditional monitors connected to the 003) when I try and manipulate any midi settings on a MIDI track. That’s about the only reaction I get at all.

I can (seemingly) record a MIDI track, but nothing records, so it isn’t surprising that I cannot play back anything to control a midi device— the tracks are apparently blank. I know what it should look like, I’ve done it plenty of times on a 002. The notes that normally appear (and yes, I’m in the note view) aren’t appearing.

I have checked and re-checked my midi cabling. It is correct, and was correct to all the MIDI keyboards I tried. I’ve also tried a USB connection with no success.

Again, I’m not totally new to this, but I’ve not used Pro Tools 11 or 12 very much, and I’m brand new to the 003.

The main keyboard I need to connect is a Korg Kronos. I bought the Kronos new about a year ago, and have had zero issues with it, and also used it successfully with PT 10 and the 002.

Clearly I’m missing something here, but I’m out of ideas.
Here are the setup particulars. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pro Tools 12.5.2.511
MacBook Pro 15", Early 2011 2GHz, 16 GB RAM
OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
Pro Tools Driver 11.1.5
DIGI 003 (console)

DIGI 003 details:

Boot 56A8
B7.3.0.116

System F4A8
v8.0.0.314

Fader
v8.0.0.314

Hardware
Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Re: 003 + PT 12, unstable + no MIDI

Still having some MIDI issues but the primary problem seems to have been tied to the particular MacBook we installed on.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:11 PM

I have recently upgraded to PT 12.7 on a new MacBook Pro OS Yosemite, and similarly, after many years of using ProTools with both DIGI 001 and DIGI 003, I now cannot get MIDI to function properly, even after installing the latest driver for the 003. I play in the notes using a Roland RD-700, but they delay or miss altogether, even though they play back perfectly. I can relate to your frustration, after hours and hours of trying everything.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Engineer View Post
Still having some MIDI issues but the primary problem seems to have been tied to the particular MacBook we installed on.
Curious how your system is working now, since you figured out that problem. I'm considering picking up a used (obviously) 003 to add to my system (PT 12.5.2 on macOS 10.12.6).

As a control surface, is the 003 working well for you? Any other issues?

thanks in advance!
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies