Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-17-2003, 12:22 AM

Default XP Advice on separate profiles to improve PT performance...

I'de appreciate some advice on this... I know you can have separate Hardware profiles and turn off your NIC card in one of them.
But what I'de like to do, is to be able to sign on with one name with all normal processes running and all hardware loaded normally. But, with a second name, have most normal processes disabled at startup, so PT runs better. (With running processes OFF, I was just able to add 5 RenVerbs to a packed session that would barely play earlier today).

Is there a way?...thanks, Roy
Old 06-17-2003, 02:00 AM

Default Re: XP Advice on separate profiles to improve PT performance...

Hi my friend,

The current session on the PC here has grown to 2,08 GB size, being set to 128 samples buffer, contens 29 tracks audio, 48 midi, 9 aux, one master and 6 to 7 of the heaviest plugs ( reverbs, comps, amp modulator.)
Kontakt is also launched to deliver 13 instruments each containing samples of 3 to 6 mb. It records without probs I also can leave it open in the background when opening other apps or entering the internet.

This is probably outstandingly good performance with only an XP 1800 CPU even more as PT is set to S/PDIF.

As there is only done minor tweaking ( like disabled system sounds etc.) it could be that one doesn´t really need to disable any cards.

I have the impression that the way the OS disk is defragged could be an efficient question instead. Since I tried out defragging by a thorough method where files are gathered by their names I have the impression like that would do very good to the system.

The program I used for it is named "O&O Defrag Professional Edition", maybe you would like to try that one out.

After having defragged with it first time ( takes longer than with WinXP defrag, cause more detailed ) PT first runs just normal or maybe even a bit worse for the first hours ( I assumed maybe because certain files need to get placed on another spot first while system conducts ), but afterwards it seems all to get stable like hell.

Greets,

Lalaman
Old 06-17-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks Joe...I think that may help, and I've emailed you about it.
But I also want to know if it's true that separate 'User Profiles' can be set up, each with it's own 'running processes' setup.
All I see is 'Hardware Profiles', which pertains to hardware only, and 'User Accounts', which only allows irrelevant changes to be made.

thanks, Roy
Old 06-17-2003, 11:32 AM

I am interested too Roy. I will be following this post pretty closely. I havent had much trouble with my xp2600 yet, but as with everything, I will eventually find the limit.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:48 AM

Well in the skyking thread about using XP with other programs, Allen says:

"Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
With XP it is easy to setup different user profiles so I'd recommend setting up a profile just for PTLE that limits the programs running in the background.
Allen "

Allen...how can this be done?

thanks, Roy
Old 06-17-2003, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Thanks Joe...I think that may help, and I've emailed you about it.
But I also want to know if it's true that separate 'User Profiles' can be set up, each with it's own 'running processes' setup.
All I see is 'Hardware Profiles', which pertains to hardware only, and 'User Accounts', which only allows irrelevant changes to be made.

thanks, Roy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That´s exactly what I remember from my trials. Different user profiles didn´t mean different hardware configurations. When I disabled devices in hardware manager they would show up disabled also in other profiles. So I skipped on that idea, but maybe there is a way somehow and someone of the DUCs wisdom will certainly know of it then. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 03:33 PM

bump..................
Old 06-17-2003, 04:59 PM

it floats...
Old 06-17-2003, 05:00 PM

Roy rather than try to explain it here, have a look at this site hardware profiles I know it's a gaming site but I've found that gamers are often the most informed and have a vast knowledge of tweaks and downfalls of operating systems.

Cheers
Old 06-17-2003, 09:17 PM

Thanks Scoob... I guess nobody else with the answer saw this thread...(yeah right [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
I had disabled services on my main profile recently, but had to cut them back on. If they can indeed be disabled in a separate profile, it'll do wonders for PT performance, as I just witnessed yesterday. I'll look into this now.

I appreciate it, Scoobster... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]