Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Keystation 49e MIDI input failure

I am running PT12.0, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e which has served me well for many years. Windows recognizes it when connected via USB. When I run stand-alone plug-ins outside of Pro Tools, it works fine.

PT12 isn't communicating with it.

Under SETUP > PERIPHERALS > MIDI Controllers, The "type" pulldown has "M-Audio Keyboard" as an item. Excellent. "Receive from" has "Predefined - USB Keystation 49e (emulated)" as a choice. Ok? "Send to" has a plethora of choices but, as I have been trying to use this as a controller for the BFD3 plug-in, I selected that. I have also tried "USB Keystation 49e (emulated)" as well with the same results.

When I click "OK" to commit my changes, a few seconds pass, then I get the following pop-up from Pro Tools:

"Pro Tools is unable to communicate with M-Audio Keyboard. Power-cycle M-Audio Keyboard and check its connections. Note, if M-Audio Keyboard is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings."

So, it's not the keyboard, it's not the cable and it's not Windows. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Keystation 49e MIDI input failure

UPDATE -

I bought a MIDI cable and ran it out of the keyboard into my interface. This seems to work. Still doesn't explain why the good old USB method doesn't, though.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Keystation 49e MIDI input failure

I am an old PT user, based on my patronage of Protools , I can categorically state v11 AND above is a failure, and Avid has lost its vision and are living in denial. I have many keyboards, from Yamaha, Korg, Roland, etc, Anything to do with USB including their own m-AUDIO products fails with PT11-HD, I have rebuilt, reinstalled etc etc so many times, nothing seems to work with USB midi interfaces. Sent Avid a lot of emails, this forum offers help, most are nice nothing helped me. I gave up and reverted back to 10, in some cases 9.

AS of now the product is completely a lemon, very poorly designed, QA'ed , Avid is using we the good old customers as Test beds.
Avid is sailing on the goodwill that Digi design built.

I am waiting for my cost to break even in my studio, which I project next summer. Protools will be thrown out of my studio after 15+ years of loyal patronage. I am yet to use PT 11 for film scoring, as the so called Video engine makes my i7/32GB hardware crawl.