Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Import session data - access violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I did a brand new fresh install of Snow Leopard (no migration assistant) last week and I have installed all the latest versions of plug-ins and everything up to 8.1.1

I am seeing this error almost every time I try to import any session data besides matching tracks. I am on Snow Leopard 10.6.7. I'd be more than happy to make a video showing the Access Violation issue happen as the original poster describes.

Are other people still seeing this in Pro Tools 8.1.1?
Yes, same issue here. Only work around is to make sure that the i/o is exactly the same between the two session. Otherwise, I can't import AUX tracks.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Yes, same issue here. Only work around is to make sure that the i/o is exactly the same between the two session. Otherwise, I can't import AUX tracks.
In my case, I couldn't import audio tracks that had inputs that were routed to busses then into audio tracks. That may be the issue here.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Okay. I know how to recreate this bug and get the Access violation. Please somebody else, test this scenario on your computer.

1. Create a blank session (Session A)
2. Create an Audio Track and an Auxillary Bus.
3. Create a send from the Audio Track to the Auxillary Bus input and rename the input to something like "send test".
4. Save and Close Session and create Blank Session B. Do not use I/O from "Last Session."
5. Import Session A into Session B. Import everything (markers, tempo and etc even though it probably doesn't matter)
6. Now rename the "send test" bus to something else.
7. Reimport Session A into Session B again (Same settings) and this time you should get the error message: "Could not complete your request because An access violation has occured. while translating Tracks."
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 AM

This bug is KILLING me this week on a session. Does anybody know if PT 9 fixes this? I'll upgrade this weekend if it does. Huge time killer and embarrassment in front of clients...

peace

rb

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Bump... Digitechsupt... Any chance you have this on the list to be fixed (Pro Tools 8, 9 or 10?)
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixboy bob View Post
This bug is KILLING me this week on a session. Does anybody know if PT 9 fixes this? I'll upgrade this weekend if it does. Huge time killer and embarrassment in front of clients...

peace

rb
This bug has been KILLING ME too for months now, and I finally, out of desperation, did the PTHD9 upgrade. I'm happy to report that it does fix the problem, but I still have sessions with tracks that re-route themselves every time I re-open the session (different bug, but I was hoping that would go away as well)...

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks Mixchump. Guess it's always a trade-off. Might be time to go 9...

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy

PTHD Ultimate/Eucon (latest betas) / Mac Studio Ultra 128GB RAM / Aja T-Tap / Sonnet M.2 4x4 PCIe 8TB / Focusrite 16Line / MTRX Studio / UAD Octo / 32 channel S1 & Dock (5) 2019 Fire HD 10 / Dolby Atmos 9.1.4 /Mastering Suite / 13.0 Sony 360RA
Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 PM

I've been having the same issue here too. I find that if I import session data in small increments in seems to work. Import drums tracks, save, then bass, save, guitars, save, vocals, ect. It been getting me through mixing for the past 2 days. I got 2 more albums to mix this month. Look like I'll be upgrading to 9 as well. Is this a planted bug to get us to upgrade to 9? WTF?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Same here too.

And in my case the I/O setup is IDENTICAL, no changes made, not even names changed or whatsoever

All I wanted to import were 2 (!!) tracks, but: YES one of them being an AUX (the other regular audio)

Unfortunately both tracks have a complicated and complex Plug-in structure with lots of settings. Please don't tell me the only work around in my case is to save each plug-in's settings in a folder, and re-opening them in the new session from each re-opened plug-in's menu... ?

As well as writing down with A PEN & A PAPER (!) what the volume, pan etc. was. (luckily no automations or wild audio editing in THIS ONE !!)

Still doesn't sound very professional to me to spend like 45 min of studiotime for a very SIMPLE import (2 tracks !). Operations like this should be and used to be NO BRAINERS (?). I mean... writing down Volume, PAN-setting etc. on paper

I am not really keen on swapping to PT9, my 8.1 works well and stable so far...exept for this really "stupid" bug. I have not heard of any fantastic features that REALLY draw me to PT9. And besides the money for the upgrade, I'v heard about other NEW bugs in PT9, I dont need fancy Midi as I compose in Logic anyways... so upgrading because of a bug that is not being fixed....doesn't feel "right". Not at all.

So please don't tell me Avid doesn't provide a bugfix for people who are just happy with 8.1 but need to import tracks or parts of sessions every now and then... ?

Let's hope and see rather than all of us buying PT9 for THIS reason...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 AM

... I've found a workaround. Dont know if it helps the others, depends a lot on the type of session I guess and the number of aux tracks that cause problems and whether there are many automations on them etc. (because these might be lost)

But anyway it worked for my session and maybe it helps some more people until AVID hopefully releases a bugfix !

1) I opened the session from where I wanted to copy tracks from

2) took the AUX tracks and copied (alt / click & drag) all the plug-ins one by one to newly created AUDIO tracks.

3) Set Volume, PAN etc. there like the aux tracks

4) Closed the session, opened the session where I wanted to copy the tracks to.

5) imported ONLY THE AUDIOTRACKS incl. the new "copies" of the aux tracks which are AUDIOtracks now too. Seems like the problem is directly connected with aux-tracks (?), as this WORKED ...as opposed to trying to import aux tracks as well in the last attempts (=access violation)

6) created NEW empty aux tracks in this session

7) Copied the plug ins (again alt / click & drag) back from the imported audiotracks to those newly created aux tracks.

8) Adjusted vol / pan of the aux tracks to the imported audiotracks

BINGO.

Exept for automations (for which perhaps there is a trick like copying them to audio tracks by copy / paste or seomething like that ?) everything is there.

Maybe this rescues one or the other sessions, but workarounds like this should not encourage AVID to refain from a bugfix as this takes time + a lot of patience and ist sooooo uneccessary