Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Import more than 1 video file with Pro Tools non-Ultimate

Hi everyone. Apologies if this has been asked before. I can't find any threads recent enough to confirm this specifically for Ultimate or non-Ultimate.

According to this comparison chart non-Ultimate version will provide 1 video TRACK only.

However, I can't find info that would confirm whether that single track can take multiple video FILES or not.

Your input is always appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Import more than 1 video file with Pro Tools non-Ultimate

You are only able to have one single active video file in your PT session (you can keep others in the bin, just not in the edit window). You can't even place a 2nd one later in the timeline of that video track. It's sort of a ridiculous limitation, but that's a primary way that they're able to add "value" to PT Ultimate.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Thanks Eric, your answer is very appreciated and I do agree that it looks as a ridiculous limitation.

The ability to import multiple video files to the bin and then dropping one at a time as needed could be a quick workaround. Still I'm thinking that sometimes I may have to be working with 10 or more clips to be dubbed and jump from one to another, so I'm thinking this workaround may not be the best for such situations.

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM

True, however vanilla PT can open a session created by Ultimate with however many video clips on a single video track and playback fine. You just can't change anything. As soon, as you import another video with vanilla the video track will be wiped.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the tip Meads. I'll still need Ultimate as I will be importing multiple video clips to my timeline and moving them around.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixaudio View Post
Thanks Eric, your answer is very appreciated and I do agree that it looks as a ridiculous limitation.

The ability to import multiple video files to the bin and then dropping one at a time as needed could be a quick workaround. Still I'm thinking that sometimes I may have to be working with 10 or more clips to be dubbed and jump from one to another, so I'm thinking this workaround may not be the best for such situations.

Thanks again!
We have composers who use vanilla with their home rigs and their biggest complaint is exactly what you're discussing. It's not uncommon for them to use multiple videos in one session and their solution is dragging them from the bin as necessary, but they've come to truly loathe this process.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:12 AM

I'm sitting at an HD rig right now ... but in vanilla, would it be possible to make playlists of the video track & just put each video onto a separate playlist?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 AM

EGS, that's an interesting question. I don't have Pro Tools 12 vanilla. My original question was because I currently have PT 11 HD software and trying to decide whether upgrading to Ultimate or vanilla, depending on this capability.

To be honest, I didn't even know that you can create multiple playlists in a video track in HD. I'm just looking at it now.

If this is also available on PT 12 vanilla, that could be a good workaround for working with multiple video clips. Still, I don't know whether you could import multiple clips onto the bin or not.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 AM

With one file in edit window limitation I doubt that you have success