Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

@ DTS,

very glad to hear the DUC will remain intact (though it does seem out of step with the re-branding to retain the "D" - I am in no way suggesting we tuck in to the Foie gras, and do away with it).

I am also a little saddened to see the end of Digidesign as a brand, but I "get it".

As far as the layman is concerned with regards to Digidesign, the brand is the product.

Conversely, as far as the layman is concerned with regards to Avid, the product is the brand.

i.e. most folks with even a passing interest in the media have heard of Pro Tools, and have a basic awareness of what it is - but no idea who or what Digidesign is/are/were.

Likewise, they have heard of Avid, and believe it to be software for editing movies & video - but have never heard of Media Composer.

This whole re-branding/restructuring process will go completely unnoticed by the layman, and actually has the potential to greatly benefit the industry (that said, it's also possible that it could go so well from a bean counters point of view, that life for the freelancer could be made even more hellish - but that's an entirely different topic, and down to the industry rather than the tool developers).

If the shoe were on the other foot, and Digidesign were replacing Avid, I think the outcome could be far more fraught and turbulent, potentially for all concerned - and no less confusing for the layman.

..It'll be fine!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 AM

I really hope that we will see good things soon, so we don't have to deal with rumours and speculations daily.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 AM

It would be nice to get this train back on the right track and if a little restructuring helps then all the power to ya.
My money will go elsewhere until I see better product though...

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottedog View Post
My money will go elsewhere until I see better product though...
Vice versa. My money won't go elsewhere until I see a better product.

Couldn't resist.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
the DUC will still be here, so we can all continue to exchange pleasantries.
What, no AUC?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Many of you know I have poked at Avid and Digidesign in a few posts - some in fun, some not so much. But all kidding aside, here's my initial feedback:

Overall, I see this letter as a good thing. It is an indicator of the possibility of better things to come. There are multiple, clear indications that better communication is part of the plan, which seems to show recognition that the current comms are inadequate. There are also references to improved R&D through resource consolidation. That also makes a good deal of sense and should be a great thing for the company and its customers.

What I don't see is any acknowledgment whatsoever of the technical issues that currently abound in the Digidesign space. I understand that both strategically and tactically this is difficult to address in a communication such as this. But by not speaking to it at all, in a way you actually have taken a position that says you either aren't aware or aren't concerned. Hopefully neither is true. But I would have at least included some verbiage that hints at future products being stable, reliable, "can be counted on", etc. But instead the focus seems to be on "innovative new gear", "more great products", "expanding our product lines" - all good things to be sure. But not at the expense of stability, reliability, and dependability.

I'm sure your new direction will become clearer in the days, weeks, and months to come and I look forward to the improvements you have planned. I just hope those plans include addressing (in a timely fashion) some of the things that the "boots on the ground" deal with on a daily basis. Those "boots" are your best spokesmen for the new Avid, or your worst.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Now that's what I was talking about in my post here: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=270237

Next to my rant about too much negative posts I also speak out my one big concern that Avid doesn't communicate with all the troubled minds to get rid of the negative talk that was going on. Finally a letter. Way to go Avid!! And you even dangle a carrot in front of us with the prospect on new products (albeit a very tiny carrot).

Now, we can all speculate about what features AVID has in store for us in Pro Tools 8.1 when they reveal it on the 12th at NAB.

One can hope and optimism is the cure for everything ... except the lack of ADC of course

Show us that AVID is the new Digidesign.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM

One thing i want to ask.

Is AVID doing something with all the suggestions that we the users have given you on the Pro Tools Ideascale website? We haven't heard anything about that.

What about lifting a miniscule tiny tip of the veil?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:57 PM

This Letter from Avid isn't a Victory. It's Barely Positive!

The Name change doesn't effect the product, it effects the marketing. Same with the website change.

Thanks for trying to Feed Us a Dream, but what I need is a Product that works! Consistently. On All OS's. Not a New Website and Name Change.

My Question to Avid/Digi is this:

"What are you planning on doing to keep your customers, when for $60 I can get Reaper which has ADC and is 64 bit already, and Logic is full Featured for $500 and I can use any Interface I want?"

I Want a REAL answer! Not Gossip on a Forum.

I'm tired of paying full price for things like Structure and then being told I can't have the fix for it cause of legal reasons.

I don't care if you delete this post. I'll take it as a sign that you truly don't care about progressing your product.

You've already made a Fool of me. Cause you have my Money, and I have things that work some of the time, and the rest of the time I'm Problem Solving! Which is NOT WHAT I WAS TRYING TO BUY INTO!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Hi,

I think that's the down side of capitalism, companies buying other
to gain more control over the costumers.

I only hope the new products will justify that.
As for now, it suck I can't run my PT LE and PT M-Powered on the same computer... So hopefully they're going to solve that

Tanks