Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Post house Mac -> PC

I just can't imagine the Dolby Atmos Production Suite won't be expected to be part of a standard editing setup for collaboration. Maybe I'm missing something.

https://www.rspeaudio.com/demystifyi...-rmu-a/370.htm
Old 03-01-2020, 11:15 PM

No issues here. All PC for mixing and I playback the sessions on macs and PC's.
Sometimes it's a huge problem when you have mac and pc. Need to convert everything all the time. I need to convert videos because I edit videos only at mac. I use Movavi Video Editor for Mac. Very easy and intuitive interface.

Last edited by JamesTheBest; 03-25-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:06 AM

I have an HPz840 workstation at my home studio and at work, we all use Macs, so I have everyday experience bouncing back and forth between two different OS. So I'll give my unbiased opinion on both.

Overall, the computing power should be the same if not better for the HPz. There are no specific/proprietary features one OS has to another regarding Pro Tools. However, I have experience little nuances that can affect productivity and that can make or break for some of you. Below are general outlines I've come across.

1) As Brandonx1 has said, the modifier keys are different but you'll get use to them eventually. The one thing Mac has an advantage for is that it can create basic shortcut commands internally in their OS. With a PC, I use autohotkey, which can be a drag sometimes if you're not keen on scripting. There will be days where I just want to create a new shortcut, and with a Mac it's very fluid and simple, with a PC, I'll have to open up autohotkey and write a script for that shortcut. Not a dealbreaker, but when you're in a time crunch that can be super annoying.

2) Troubleshooting with a Mac is fairly straightforward. Since Macs are like dictators, every software developer needs to abide by their standard and code. They say jump, you say how high. For that reason, I've encountered stability for Pro Tools a bit more consistent. PC is a very open platform and I believe software QC is not as vigilant. The allow and want as many developers to jump in their ship and let them do what they please.
On a PC, sometimes I will get error message about not locating Pro Tools and I would need to restart. Totally random. I believe it's my digi003, so further examination will need to be conducted. There will sometimes be playback issues, such as slow playback or slow saving during playback and will cause Pro Tools to lock up. I found out I have to disable certain devices in the "device manager" in order for Pro Tools to respond appropriately. Just little things that I would not need to think about in a Mac.

3) iZotope is more responsive in a Mac. The izotope GUI seems to always bog down and lag when hiding and unhiding multiple izotope audiosuite plugins I have up. I have notified the izotope team (I'm also in their beta program) and they can't find a solution. They claim they test their software on both platforms, but I'm skeptical on how much time is allocated on R&D to a PC as oppose to a Mac. At work, the izotope on a Mac is much more responsive. The izotope version and Pro Tools version is exactly identical, so clearly something is going on.

4) OS upgrades. As we all know, every time Mac releases an upgrade, PT users are freaking out on whether their versions of PT is compatible, what version to get, when is everything ready for compatibility and etc. On a PC, upgrades are never really an issue. PC seems to have a longer support life span on their OS. I mean, windows is finally trying to phase out windows XP!

Those are some of the little nuances that I have dealt with on a daily bases. Not dealbreakers, but can definitely hinder on productivity. Keep in mind, the PC is not custom built and was manufactured specifically for my type of work. I really do enjoy both platforms and it's a toss up for me. Some days, I enjoy a PC more and other days I prefer a Mac. Hope this helps.