Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Question Importing midi files into ProTools 8

I am very new at this so appologies to all for such basic questions.
I am importing a Sibelius file into Pro Tools as a midi file. Pro Tools has imported the file just fine, but how do I go about assigning instruments to these tracks (big file - orchestra piece - about 35 tracks. I am just, for now, looking to play this piece via assigned virtual instruments. Any help? Thank you in advance for your time
Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Importing midi files into ProTools 8

Instrument Track 'Inserts' is where you would instantiate a VI.

filosofem
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Memmms:
I also am struggling with the Sibelius Midi flies into ProTools. As far as assigning instruments, filosofem states "Instrument Track 'Inserts' is where you would [initiate] a VI." But when I go to MIX, there are no Insert tabs at the top of the MIX window. Normally, you would click "Multichannel RTAS plug-ins" and choose your plug-in. But how do you use "Inserts" when they don't even appear?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM

View--->Mix Window---->Instruments

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscores View Post
Memmms:
I also am struggling with the Sibelius Midi flies into ProTools. As far as assigning instruments, filosofem states "Instrument Track 'Inserts' is where you would [initiate] a VI." But when I go to MIX, there are no Insert tabs at the top of the MIX window. Normally, you would click "Multichannel RTAS plug-ins" and choose your plug-in. But how do you use "Inserts" when they don't even appear?
My guess would be that you are dragging MIDI files in to ProTools, so ProTools is making them into MIDI tracks. MIDI tracks don't have inserts.

You will need to make an AUX input track, and insert the VI there. Then you will be able to assign the outputs of the MIDI tracks to whatever channels are available on the VI you are using. This is the better way to set up when you are using multiple MIDI tracks, but triggering just a couple VIs, like samplers that can handle multiple MIDI channels at once.

If you are just working with a couple MIDI tracks, or the instruments you are assigning them to only accept 1 CH of MIDI (like Vacuum, for instance) then you will be better off using Instrument Tracks. Inst tracks combine the features of MIDI and Aux tracks into a single track. For this you will want to do what jmitchell suggested, and make sure that "instruments" view is checked so you can see the MIDI routing controls of an instrument track. (PS.. This confuses so many people that I would suggest that DigiDesign turns on this view by default..)

To use an Inst track with pre-recorded midi files, Drag the midi file(s) to the regions bin first. If the midi file coming from Sibelius has multiple instruments, dropping it in the region bin first will break those out into the individual instruments. Then, make what ever Inst tracks you require and assign VIs to them. Now you can just drag the midi regions from the bin to the inst tracks..
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks Flommer:
You wouldn't believe how many tutorials and books I've read trying to figure out what you told me in a few paragraphs. I think I can do this now.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Importing MIDI to the Region List does not conform the session to the SMF's Conductor Ruler events - Tempo, Key and/or Session Start (Spot).

filosofem
Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM

And related to the above for dragging into the regions bin....I'm using drag/drop from Groove Monkey to the region bin for Xpand2. Regions are auto-named midi-01, 02...then I rename them to manage them. Any way for PT8 to use the Groove Monkey file name so I can tell when is what?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikoaiko View Post
Any way for PT8 to use the Groove Monkey file name so I can tell when is what?
Multi-Track.

filosofem
Old 05-05-2011, 04:50 PM

hello there, i need some help here...
i have made i tune with logic pro and i now want to import it as midi in protools.
i exported it from logic but for some reason when i go to import a midi file like my bass-line into protools it comes up as a multiple midi file instead a single one...
i tried both format 0 or format 1 and in both cases comes as a multiple file...
i tried to re-import it in logic and it comes up as a single while importing the SAME midi file into PT it doesn't.
anybody could please help?
thanks.