Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Default Can I use an USB mic that I already purchased some time ago?

Hey guys, Im trying to setup an entry level home studio with Pro Tools Essentials, and was wondering if I get the Recording Studio interface, would I be able to use an USB mic that I already purchased some time ago?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Can I use...?

You can only use a USB Mic if you have the one M-audio sells with essential.
Otherwise you need a mic with XLR so you can connect it to the Fast Track or the Keystudio. ProTools will not recognise any other USB mic as PT hardware.
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Get the fast track kit and a mic that would be better.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:43 AM

I got the Fast Track version of the product and it works pretty well for a starting point. Just note that if you want to use a condenser mic, you will need to get one that is battery powered because the Fast Track USB does not provide phantom power/

On the plus side, I just plugged in a Shure SM57 to record acoustic guitar first and then a vocal track and it worked fine. Not "sounds like a record" quality, but pretty good, definitely good enough for recording demos, song ideas, etc.

The DI does not have a whole lot of gain, but it sounds surprisingly good with a Precision Bass plugged straight into it if you add some DigiRack compression and the Sansamp "In your face" bass preset.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM

Just a few ? about the Essentials package vs. LE (which I own via an MBox2).

1. Can you share session files between Essential and LE and HD assuming the track numbers aren't over the Essential limit?

2. The FastTrack has two inputs, but are they simultaneous? i.e., can you record a mic and guitar though the XLR and 1/4" inputs at the same time?

3. Is the Essentials user interface basically like LE with a few plug-ins, etc. removed or is it a completely redesigned interface (like the Presonus Studio One)?

4. Can you add plug-ins to "Essential" such as reverb and the kit from Digidesign that provides OMF capability?

5. I noticed someone said there was no Phantom Power. A friend of mine just picked up a Rode M3 which can use Phantom or use a battery - that should work fine I suppose...

Thanks
Andy Novak
DFW, Texas
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynovak View Post
Just a few ? about the Essentials package vs. LE (which I own via an MBox2).

1. Can you share session files between Essential and LE and HD assuming the track numbers aren't over the Essential limit?

2. The FastTrack has two inputs, but are they simultaneous? i.e., can you record a mic and guitar though the XLR and 1/4" inputs at the same time?

3. Is the Essentials user interface basically like LE with a few plug-ins, etc. removed or is it a completely redesigned interface (like the Presonus Studio One)?

4. Can you add plug-ins to "Essential" such as reverb and the kit from Digidesign that provides OMF capability?

5. I noticed someone said there was no Phantom Power. A friend of mine just picked up a Rode M3 which can use Phantom or use a battery - that should work fine I suppose...

Thanks
Andy Novak
DFW, Texas
From my limited experience working with it:

1. Yes
2. Not sure (Edit: per DigiTechSupt response below this post, yes, you CAN record through both inputs simultaneously)
3. GUI looks like PT LE 8, limited to the proprietary plugins it includes
4. No, you can not add plugins, but it includes Dverb and I think pretty much the whole Digirack set of plugins, compression, EQ, delay. It also has the Sansamp plugin which sounds pretty cool on bass.
5. Yes, a battery powered condenset mic would work fine. But be aware that there are TWO versions of the Fast Track floating around and one of them has phantom power and comes with PT Essential bundled.
According to an answer provided by a Digi Administrator in this thread:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=255408&page=2, "If you do a search for "Fast Track" at Sweetwater, you will see both of these listed. The original "Fast Track USB" and the new "Fast Track" (which is also USB). If you take a look at the pictures and specs, you can see the difference.

The new Fast Track model comes with Pro Tools M-Powered Essential included.

The new bundle named "Pro Tools Recording Studio" at Best Buy includes the previous model interface, the "Fast Track USB" and also includes Essential software.

I'm not in marketing, so I don't know whether Best Buy is planning on distributing the new Fast Track as well, but they don't have it listed at this time. I also wasn't asked if naming 2 different USB interfaces "Fast Track USB" and "Fast Track" might confuse anyone, or I would have perhaps ventured an opinion.
"

bilco
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Avid

The answer to #2 is 'yes' - you can use both inputs simultaneously.