Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2018, 08:42 AM

Default Second HDX card causes clocking issues

Strange issue, but here we go.

My System is Mac Pro 5,1 with HDX and Three HD I/O two of the first port, one off the second port.

Yosemite 12.8.1

I’m clocking all three interfaces via an Apogee big ben, my system has been this way for a long time, and it’s all working nicely.

As soon as i add a second HDX card, Interface 2 fails to clock, it sits on internal.

Take the second HDX card out.. all is perfect.

Boot HDX 2 with just the second interface as master.. all perfect. (HDX-2 One Interface)

I’ve then repeated the same test with the second HDX card as the (core) with identical results.

If it’s one card.. all is fine.. two cards in any combo, and interface 2 doesn’t work.

Ok.. so I then hang interface 2 from the second HDX card.. no go also!

If two cards are present, interface two won't play ball.

Any suggestions would be brilliant

Last edited by toolz; 06-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Second HDX card causes clocking issues

Any chance damage to the cable between cards (internally) or hooked the wrong way round? (don't even know if that is possible on HDX but on TDM with the flat ribbon, I would run into that)
Old 06-03-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Any chance damage to the cable between cards (internally) or hooked the wrong way round? (don't even know if that is possible on HDX but on TDM with the flat ribbon, I would run into that)
Yeah, that's the only cable that cannot change, as only have one. Yeah, it goes only one way due to shape of the connector.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:46 PM

As part of troubleshooting this, I would disconnect the Big Ben and connect all 3 boxes via Loop Sync and see if that is better. If it IS better, then try Big Ben sending Wordclock to the first 192 and keep the Loop Sync in place.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As part of troubleshooting this, I would disconnect the Big Ben and connect all 3 boxes via Loop Sync and see if that is better. If it IS better, then try Big Ben sending Wordclock to the first 192 and keep the Loop Sync in place.
This works, so, I'm thankful for the suggestion.. up an running HDX-2

I've been syncing as the Apogee manual suggests, and they advise to avoid loop sync, I'm guessing this way, Loop Sync regenerates the clock?

http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/bigben_protools.pdf

It would be interesting to know how others are configuring external clocks, I have a second Pro Tools just for mix capture and to act as a hub for multiple digital sources, and AES hardware Inserts, so it's imperative everything is clocked from the same source.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:13 PM

Just checking, but when you do multiple interfaces to external clock, you do flip through the interfaces on the session setup to assign each interface to listen to the external clock?

(that's how it's supposed to be done)

Also, loop sync cables should not be attached if using external sync. That screws things up. This used to not, but it has for a while now -- if it sees loop sync it won't stick to external; used to move from house clock (on external) to loop sync if we need to go to a different rate and we used to be able to leave all cables attached and switch the setup within pro tools but at some point that stopped working.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Just checking, but when you do multiple interfaces to external clock, you do flip through the interfaces on the session setup to assign each interface to listen to the external clock?

(that's how it's supposed to be done)

Also, loop sync cables should not be attached if using external sync. That screws things up. This used to not, but it has for a while now -- if it sees loop sync it won't stick to external; used to move from house clock (on external) to loop sync if we need to go to a different rate and we used to be able to leave all cables attached and switch the setup within pro tools but at some point that stopped working.
Yeah, so I actually do it via Hardware setup, and direct each interface to the incoming WC, it's been a huge habit to do this

Everything has been clocked great for the last 5 years, the BB has seen HD3 PCie, NDN PCIe and HDX all without issue.. and that extra HDX card.. and bang!

Someone told me, if you go HDX3 all the issues subside! but who knows.