Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 12:39 PM

Default 6.7 The latest and greatest?

So now that 6.7 is out and has added beat detective as well as other things, what are the actual limitations of le compared to full blown p.t. besides 32 tracks. If anyone has a list or a link if this has been asked that would be great. I vowed to keep my 001 until i could afford hd or the next le upgrade, but if 6.7 is really that great, i might have to get an 002r. Thanks, Ryan
Old 12-12-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: 6.7 The latest and greatest?

There are a lot more, but a few differences that instantly pop to mind are:

On a tdm system, there is still some limitation to where RTAS plugins can be placed, and any/all rtas plugins on audio tracks are disable when recording to that track.

TDM systems have a very cool way to print automation values to a selection or point in the song...basically non-real time. You can work on one area of the tune and get a really good mix, then hit a button and all of your volume, pan, etc (it's selectable), info will be copied from their current values into automation points to a single point in the tune, or a selection (or the front of a selection, back, etc...)

TDM also has "trim" automation...which I really dig for fine tuning a mix.

ADC, and lower overall latency...making it easier to track without an outboard mixer.

One advantage to an LE system is it's amazingly large amount of I/O put into such a small package at such a cheap price...to get the SAME I/O capabilities in HD would cost quite a bundle by comparison to a 002r.

TDM has surround mixing and panner capabilities (you can have stereo, LCR, 5.1, etc. audio tracks).

Really, there is still quite a big difference, and these are just a very small few of the things that jump to mind for me.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:16 AM

*Bump*

Thanks for responding chris. does anyone know of any others or maybe a thread or some sort of list that explains this. I agree with you chris the the le platform is an incredible value, especially if you run a very high fidelity piece like an appogee into the lightpipe. ryan
Old 12-13-2004, 04:52 AM

What about the DSP cards?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:23 AM

Ryan, I think if you put the average apogee against the 002 converters you'd be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the 002.