Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM

Default Intel Core 2 Quad processor compatility

Can anyone tell me if Pro Tools is compatible with Intel Core 2 Quad processors ? Ive been told it should work just as well if not better than a Dual Core but anyone know a definitive?
Thanks
SG
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Intel Core 2 Quad processor compatility

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if Pro Tools is compatible with Intel Core 2 Quad processors ?
Yes, lots of people here can give you that answer. (sorry to be a smart-ass, but hey; you asked )
Quote:
Ive been told it should work just as well if not better than a Dual Core but anyone know a definitive?
There are literally hundreds of people here who can attest to the fact that the quads work much better than the duos.

We even have a whole separate thread discussing it, including benchmarks between the two, and recommendations for the best parts (that have been tested to work well with Pro Tools).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-14-2008, 08:18 AM

Its working great!

The Quads have not been approved by Digi yet though so its a "non qualified" system and you are not going to get and tech support from Digi.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
The Quads have not been approved by Digi yet though so its a "non qualified" system and you are not going to get and tech support from Digi.
sorry, but i just had to chime in here. theres a chickens%#t american corporate attitude. they tell their phonetech's NOT to support a piece of hardware that brazenly excels, and exceeds the former "tested and approved" model, despite the fact numerous people have them up and running. way-to-go! i did not know this! so if a person has ALL Digi Approved hardware and software recommendations running, with one exception being an INTEL Q-Series CPU, then all bets are off? amazing! glad im computer literate enough NOT to have to ever call them before, cuz hearing them tell me something like that would have made me livid.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
sorry, but i just had to chime in here. theres a chickens%#t american corporate attitude. they tell their phonetech's NOT to support a piece of hardware that brazenly excels, and exceeds the former "tested and approved" model, despite the fact numerous people have them up and running. way-to-go! i did not know this! so if a person has ALL Digi Approved hardware and software recommendations running, with one exception being an INTEL Q-Series CPU, then all bets are off? amazing! glad im computer literate enough NOT to have to ever call them before, cuz hearing them tell me something like that would have made me livid.
Well thats my understanding. Since the Q series Quad is essentially 2 Core 2 Duos under the same heat spreader it would be nice if they looked at as a Core 2 Duo system and helped as much as they could rather than sending some one packing.

Of course they cant be spending a bunch of time troubleshooting unsupported stuff either.

Its not a new architecture and required no PT updates to run.

Hopefully at some point we will get some official approval.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Well if another company's product (Intel Core 2 Quad) is not fully tested yet (therefore not approved yet) by Digidesign, what kind of support can they promise? They are simply stating that they have not had the time and resources to complete the testing and certification process. My experience with Digidesign is that they are always trying to be helpful. If I decide to try a new (even a much better performing component) and my Protools system doesn't work properly, I think it is fair to say that the tech support from Digidesign would be limited concerning that component. Don't get me wrong, I don't give Digidesign an excuse to not provide any support for this. I simply think that as customers, there is a certain amount of reasonable expectation that they can only effectively support what they have tested and approved.

Is this just an "American" thing?

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1