Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Default Anyone updated to PT9 ?

My main questions is:

Is the "License to use" transferred to an ilok? If so, how?
We now don't need the Eleven Rack connected to run the PT9?

How does Eleven Rack work in PT9?

I'll guess that the Eleven Rack Window is integrated, and looking forward to check out ADC.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: Anyone updated to PT9 ?

I have upgraded to PT9, and really, i couldn't be happier.

The license is transfer direct to iLok from the Avid website. When you crossgrade, they will ask you for your iLok userID and it will be sent to your account. Not sure how the boxed versions will do it. Since i am abroad in Japan, i buy from the US store to avoid the conversion rate and subsequent price increase.

And correct, the 11R is NOT required to run PT9, i happen to be using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 as my main interface for more input flexibility, but the 11R works the same as it ever did in PT9 so far. You DO need an iLok plugged in at all times, as PT9 will NOT function without it.

And yes, the 11R window is integrated, and you can still edit parameters and routing options from the screen, as opposed to doing it on the actual unit.

For the past few days that i have had it, the PT9 life is gooooooood.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
You DO need an iLok plugged in at all times, as PT9 will NOT function without it.
Please excuse me for being a complete noob but what exactly is an iLok? I've heard this mentioned on a number of threads and on pages concerning plug-ins for Pro-Tools but I've never had reason to follow this up until now.

For instance, how does one go about getting one? Why don't I have one already? And what happens if one happens to lose this "iLok" thingy? I move around a lot and am quite prone to losing things especially things that are small like thumb drives.

Since this seems to be some mischevious piece of technology required to use a program that I will have rightfully bought I think we should give it a new name - one more befitting of its use the "Loki" . And it must be in at all times great, just <expletive deleted> great.

Yet, another reason to be nervous/wary of PT9.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Thumbs up Re: Anyone updated to PT9 ?

HTML Code:
I have upgraded to PT9, and really, i couldn't be happier.
Idem, very happy with; eleven rack, Motu mk3 2408, pcix 424!

HTML Code:
what exactly is an iLok?
http://www.ilok.com/

Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalierdaour View Post
HTML Code:
what exactly is an iLok?
http://www.ilok.com/

So I have to spend $40 US to buy a piece of equipment just so I can use PT9??? And if I deal with an Australian supplier it's even more expensive @ $53 AU. And it looks like I will be up for the same amount of money should I lose it. Great, just <expletive deleted> great.

TO me that's highway <expletive deleted> robbery .

I'm not liking the idea of upgrading to PT9 at all.

Are there other DAWs out there that don't treat the end-user with such comtempt, i.e. that don't rip you off just after buying their software?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM

The ilok is used to store authorizations for plugins that you have use with Pro Tools. If you didn't use plugins with Pro Tools 8 then you wouldn't need one until you upgrade to 9. I originally got the Mbox 2 Factory which comes with a tonne of plugins (and an ilok), so naturally have used an ilok from the start. But I still have xp and upgrading to PT9 will be costly for me, upgrading to win7, buying more ram (taking advantage of 64bit OS), and then PT9. So to crossgrade to PT9 for me means upwards of $500... which I can't pull from my money out back.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 11-08-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
So I have to spend $40 US to buy a piece of equipment just so I can use PT9??? And if I deal with an Australian supplier it's even more expensive @ $53 AU. And it looks like I will be up for the same amount of money should I lose it. Great, just <expletive deleted> great.

Are there other DAWs out there that don't treat the end-user with such comtempt, i.e. that don't rip you off just after buying their software?
alot of DAWs use a dongle to auth their software, Avid use to make the Avid/Digidesign hardware be the dongle (for LE), M- powered and HD required a dongle. now LE does too. The PT9 installer is actually 1 installer, kind of like how a Windows 7 DVD actually has all versions (Home, Pro, Ultimate) on one DVD and the license key determines the version.

You can usually find iLoks on Ebay for $20 with free shipping inside the US. and few more bucks for international shipping.

Or you could find a plug in you want that has an iLok included in the box.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post

Sorry, i don't mean to offend or anything, but i don't think it's highway robbery.

I've been using iLok for awhile now for plugins, and actually, once you have the iLok it's not as troublesome as people say it is. I keep mine by my comp at all times, and i'm mobile a lot of time. Never lost it.

And yes there are other DAWs out there that require the iLok, as well as many professional quality plugins. And the use of an iLok is no secret to those who already used PT M-Powered. It's something that has been around for years, and if you're around those who make music (using computers at least) for a living, it's more common to have one rather than not. it works out just fine.

Think about it. Just for PT LE portability, we had to lug around some sort of MBox (the real highway robbery was the MBox Micro, glad that's gone) or in most of our cases in the guitar forum, the 11R as the dongle! not fun. Now all i got to carry around is a glorified USB drive? I'll take that over the hardware any day of the week.

As far as the price for an iLok, $40-50 is not so bad. It's $60 here in Japan, glad i got mine from a US retailer. but i spend $50 every month or two to restring my guitars. It's kind of peanuts at this point.

Trust me, you're not getting ripped off, and speaking from experience, the move to PT9 is well worth it.

Note: i recently upgraded from Live Suite 7 to Live Suite 8, and that's $260. I like PT 9 a lot better.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack