Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Question Ways of the Mastering?

Hello folks! Here is my situation. I have mixed a session and I am ready to master. Do I make sure before I bounce to multiple mono L and R that my levels on the master( Fader set at 0) don't go past 0?. If this is true ,do I group all the faders and go up or down to hit 0? This is what I have been doing. My other question is that I have a couple audio tracks with automation(levels for dynamics),is there a way that it will stay relative to adjustments or will I have to "write" new auto data? Need help from you pro's!!! Thank you in advance!!

PT 8.0.3 cs1
Imac 2 ghz
3g of mem

Last edited by mofotan; 02-16-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: equpment details
Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Ways of the Mastering?

Typically you would bounce the file down and then work on single stereo interleaved file within Pro Tools or your DAW of choice.

Mastering is a bit of a black art and something i am working on as we speak and i still feel as though i've only just scratched the surface several years down the line.

If you have the time i'd recommend taking a look at Izotope Ozone 4, it's a fantastic mastering plugin that get's great results. At a the same time you really need to read the documentation so that you use it correctly. Izotope have a mastering with Ozone guide and it's a great read, even if you don't intend on mastering with they're software the info is relevant. It's also a very easy read without too much teccy jargon. Whatsmore if your not comfortable with doing it all yourself they're a shed load of presets to get you off the starting blocks.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM

When bouncing out to master you want to keep the master fader from clipping (so no red lights! not even one!). If you have all your track and bus levels set how you want them and dont want to muck around with changing your automation levels then simply pull the master fader down so that it doesn't clip when playing back.

Another consideration is the amount of headroom you want to leave for the mastering process. I usually leave around 6dB roughly, and try to have my mix peaking at -3dB at the most. Im not sure what levels other people go for here but I would be interested to find out!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks for your prompt response. But....am I making any sense about the levels? I know you are very wise and have years in this field. Any suggestions about the automation I asked about. Thank you!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Kind of confusing dude.....

You bounce your mix down as is. What you hear is what you get, just make sure your not clipping on the master fader when the file bounces down.

Once you have your bounce, take it back in to Pro Tools and master to taste.

If you try and group all the faders together and move them all up together to increase your levels the the mix is going to fall apart. If you want more volume before you bounce add a plugin on the master fader, something like massey tapehead, maxim or even a compressor will do the trick. Just bare in mind one of the mastering objectives will be to bring up the levels so you really don't need to worry about adding volume right now.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM

Hello jdutaillis, I needed the confirmation. I thought about the master fader but wanted verification. So.....there is nothing I can do about automation staying relative to my adjustments? Oh yeah, about the master fader is that shunned upon and used for last choice or do you guys do it all the time? Thank you!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, about the master fader is that shunned upon and used for last choice or do you guys do it all the time? Thank you!
It comes with practice, if you start with your faders too high then the master will clip. If you ease off it won't clip and you will leave yourself some headroom.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM

I gotcha now.

If you insert a trim plugin on your automated tracks you can adjust the overall gain of the track up or down.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Thank you both! My brain isn't swelling anymore lol! Jdutaillis, I will try what you suggested after a couple of errands, and Dougfather...Cheers! Any more details about mastering,BRING IT ON!!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 PM

The best thing I ever did to help my mastering was sit in on a professional mastering session. It's just a matter of finding a studio or engineer that is willing to let you sit in and watch! Watching a professional at work is by far the best way to learn i've found.