Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Is the Protools HD 9 software protected by Ilok's ZDT?

Hey all, does anyone know if protools HD 9 itself is protected by ZDT?(zero downtime coverage) Ilok seems to say software protection against theft/loss is up to the software manufacturer.

Is there anyway to insure against the ilok being lost or stolen?

I do a lot of remote location work and I can't figure out a way to safeguard the ilok. It just seems crazy if the replacement cost is $2000 and there is no way to protect it.

btw, I'm very happy with the recent software changes and I'm fine with the ilok protection/license but I just can't wrap my head around this risk.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Is the Protools HD 9 software protected by Ilok's ZDT?

Don't know about Avid's policy on ZDT... but you could lock your iLok to your computer similarly to the way you would lock your computer to a desk. That would make it a bit more difficult for someone to just walk by a pull it out.

These wont work since they would be too big to thread through the iLok but I'm sure you can find something that will or get creative...

http://us.kensington.com/html/17687.html

Hope that's some help!
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM

I am hoping that maybe Avid will implement something similar to the Waves TLC which gives you licenses that last for a few months with a replacement license sent to your ilok account two weeks before the license expires so that you can upgrade and continue to use the software. It also lets you claim a license if you loose your ilok or it's damaged up to two times a year. This has been working well with all of my waves plugs and would be a good replacement to the back up license that Avid originally supplied with HD systems.

Maybe this could be a free service to HD customers and possibly a subscription based service for the non HD customers and would be another way for avid to support their HD customers, and differentiate HD from the straight native PT9.

Just a thought
Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtful guest View Post
Hey all, does anyone know if protools HD 9 itself is protected by ZDT?(zero downtime coverage) Ilok seems to say software protection against theft/loss is up to the software manufacturer.
Hi,

ZDT is simply an instant replacement for ALL your auth that were on your ilok when it was last synced at ilok.com. they last 14 days. during that time you have to take it up with all the manufacturers to get permanent replacements back. If you have second hand auths that are not registered with the vendor then you could have trouble getting them back. thought i'm not sure if Ilok would replace the auths once they examine the ilok and agree its failed!! they should honor any auths on the ilok?? would ne interested to know for sure!!!!

If you don't have ZDT then you don't get the temp auths till you return your ilok to ilok.cok and they examine it.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

ZDT is simply an instant replacement for ALL your auth that were on your ilok when it was last synced at ilok.com. they last 14 days. during that time you have to take it up with all the manufacturers to get permanent replacements back. If you have second hand auths that are not registered with the vendor then you could have trouble getting them back. thought i'm not sure if Ilok would replace the auths once they examine the ilok and agree its failed!! they should honor any auths on the ilok?? would ne interested to know for sure!!!!

If you don't have ZDT then you don't get the temp auths till you return your ilok to ilok.cok and they examine it.

Chris
Not exactly.

ZDT gives you temporary auths so you don't have to sit on your hands waiting for PACE to get your broken ilok in the mail and send you a replacement. (You should have a blank ilok at the studio waiting to receive the temporary auths via download, or this won't work.)

Then, when they get your ilok, they ship you a new one just like the original with replacement auths that last as long as the original ones. You don't need to contact all the individual software manufacturers.

But if you send them your broken ilok, they simply transfer the auths from the broken to the new one. If they can't physically transfer the auths because of the extent of the damage, they are able to get the manufacturers to supply new ones. The manufacturers will do this because they know the original ilok is damaged.

There can be problems is when the ilok is lost or stolen--then PACE can't always get replacement auths for you. When the ilok is lost or stolen, some manufacturers won't provide replacement auths. They assume you are trying to scam them into new auths so you can sell the old ones or something.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM

So, I assume that there is no way to protect Protools 9 auths against loss/theft?

Has anyone had to deal with this with Digi/Avid?

If you don't have ZDT and your Ilok breaks I assume they will still replace it and the authorizations on it?