Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11 - Upgrade to PTHD11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryrwiz View Post
But that's not what's happening. The product is Pro Tools 11+HD features, just as we have Pro Tools 10+CPTK. The upgrade from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 11 is $300, and the upgrade to HD is $300, so combined you have the $600. This is backed up by the fact that Pro Tools 9 users with the CPTK would have to pay a premium to get to Pro Tools HD11 (which I believe Bruce said was $1000). If you break that price down it is just slightly higher than what a user who has stayed up to date would have paid ($300 upgrade from 9 to 10+$300 upgrade from 10 to 11+$300 upgrade to HD), equating to a $100 penalty for not remaining up to date. If what you said was true, it would cost the same to get to Pro Tools HD11 from 9 as it does from 10, but it does not, therefore it would make sense to remove the upgrade cost from those whom already upgraded to 11, just as the upgrade cost for 9 to 10 was removed.

I agree completely that Avid should remove the upgrade cost for those whom already upgraded to 11. However I am not sure it would be practical to fix that discount at $299 for everyone across the board...

If Avid cannot track our upgrade paths and what we paid then I am not sure there is a way to do this that is fair to everyone. Maybe require a copy of the invoice showing what each customer paid for the upgrade to PT11 then use that as the basis for their discount.

Kev
Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdramsey View Post
I agree completely that Avid should remove the upgrade cost for those whom already upgraded to 11. However I am not sure it would be practical to fix that discount at $299 for everyone across the board...

If Avid cannot track our upgrade paths and what we paid then I am not sure there is a way to do this that is fair to everyone. Maybe require a copy of the invoice showing what each customer paid for the upgrade to PT11 then use that as the basis for their discount.

Kev
I acknowledge that due to the various upgrade paths by Avid fixing the price for PT11 to Pro Tools HD that they may not gain as much money as they may have if everyone in that situation paid the $600, however let us look at the various ways one may have gotten to Pro Tools 11 via upgrade.

First there are regular $300 upgrades from Pro Tools 10 to 11, the normal path, and those who did pay the upgrade price. These people would legitimately be paying to upgrade twice if it were $600 to upgrade to HD from either 10 or 11.

Next is students who were entitled to 4 years of free upgrades, which included through 11. Many students cannot afford the $600 upgrade price to HD, so many are opting not to do that upgrade at all, whereas $300 is a much more feasible price for students. In the end Avid would likely profit from students by lowering the price, not lose money.

Thirdly, there are Educational licenses for schools and school faculty, which for these people it cost them $100 to upgrade. Many schools use Pro Tools HD at least for part of the system, so those would fall into the HD upgrade path already, but regardless, schools have a tendency to usually be a few versions behind due to funding, so by making it even pricier to get functionality they already had will likely cause a decision not to upgrade at all. By offering a $300 upgrade from 11 to 11HD would cause their final cost to be $400 instead of $600 for each computer they have that isn't running HD already, and as institutions run many rigs for teaching purposes, that $400 per computer will become a lot of money for Avid that they may otherwise have missed out on. In addition, beyond the institutions themselves, by offering the same discount to school faculty will allow the faculty the opportunity to become better acquainted with the software, acting as advocates to encourage their institutions to upgrade.

Next is the people whom upgraded from 9 to 10 at the perfect time to qualify for the free upgrade to 11. Yes, Avid would make more by charging them to upgrade to HD, but realistically, if they waited that long to upgrade, they likely will not be upgrading to HD, and even if they do, the $600 price is likely entirely out of the question for them.

Now is the last upgrade path which could cause some lost potential profit, but compared to all the possible profit made by those falling on the other upgrade paths that may not have upgraded otherwise without the discount, this one becomes insignificant. This upgrade path is the upgrade from 9 to 11 which cost $400. These people likely were waiting for Pro Tools to add 64-bit processing and offline bounce before upgrading from 9, so they decided 10 wasn't worthwhile to upgrade to. These people will have paid the equivalent of $300 to upgrade to 10, then only $100 to upgrade to 11, $200 less than people in the regular upgrade path which paid $300 for both. These people likely will want to retain the functionality of the CPTK if they already had it, and if they didn't upgrade to 11 before going for the upgrade to HD, the cost would be $1,000, or the equivalent of the price to upgrade to 11, then to upgrade to HD as if they had come from 10. The reason why this doesn't make sense however, is that they are already being penalized for not upgrading to 10 with that $100 addition to upgrade to 11, and then they're being hit by an additional penalty for HD. If it were $300 to upgrade to HD from 11, their final upgrade price would be $700, still $100 more than those coming from 10, which is in line with the penalty initially instituted for waiting to upgrade. Yes, there is potential that they may pay the $1,000 to upgrade to HD from 9, but it is more on the unlikely side seeing as they opted not to pay those same $300 already to upgrade to 10.

Hopefully this breakdown is good enough justification for Avid to consider adding an upgrade path from 11 to HD from $300 soon. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryrwiz View Post
Hopefully this breakdown is good enough justification for Avid to consider adding an upgrade path from 11 to HD from $300 soon. Thank you.
I agree and it would be great to have a $299 upgrade path. I just don't see it happening.

But I guess we will find out real soon since we were told on July 5th that the "Pro Tools 11/10 bundled license + CPTK to the Pro Tools HD 11/10 bundled license will be added to the Avid store early next week."
Old 07-13-2013, 01:45 PM

just to let you know - the "10/11+CPTK Bundle > Upgrade to 11HD" is listed in Avids online shop today. Same price as the 9/10+CPTK and 10+CPTK upgrade. oh well... but at least the users who already upgraded are not stuck in their path upgrading to HD any more...

Old 07-15-2013, 02:16 AM

Please forgive my ignorance. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this: if I upgrade from PT10+CPTK to HD11 for $599, will I then be required to use an Avid Audio device (ex. Native Thunderbolt) and interface, or can I use the third-party devices I use for surround mixing now?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this: if I upgrade from PT10+CPTK to HD11 for $599, will I then be required to use an Avid Audio device (ex. Native Thunderbolt) and interface, or can I use the third-party devices I use for surround mixing now?
Hi,

To answer your question;

Quote:
Q: Will Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD software continue to support both Avid and 3rd party audio interfaces?

A: Keeping Pro Tools software open has been key to the product strategy since the introduction of Pro Tools 9 and remains so today. Pro Tools 11 continues to support Core Audio and ASIO drivers to enable using Pro Tools with or without Avid hardware. We have no plans to close off future versions of Pro Tools to work only with Avid hardware. added 5/31/13
Found here
Pro tools 11 FAQ

Hope that answers your question.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-15-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Hi,

To answer your question;

Found here
Pro tools 11 FAQ

Hope that answers your question.
Thanks Manny. What's causing me confusion is the system requirements which specify an HDX card, Native card or Native Thunderbolt. It's not clear (to me, anyway) whether it means they're "supported" or "required."

I was also told by a reseller that continuing to mix in surround would mean at minimum a Native device and an I/O or Omni, but that was months ago so there may still have been some confusion about what was what.

Can you say with certainty that I can mix surround with HD11 with my existing CoreAudio hardware?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 AM

Hi Gentlemen,
I want to upgrade from PT9 + CPTK + Mbox Pro to Pro tools HD 11. However, I lost my iLok and already report to ilok.com but not contact Avid yet. I've already bought ilok2 and got ilok license manager installed. Can I just go ahead and pay $999 for the upgrade?. All the licenses would be available for me (for my ilok2 ) without any problem? Also can I use Mbox Pro with Pro tools HD 11?

Thank you very much..
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appy View Post
Hi Gentlemen,
I want to upgrade from PT9 + CPTK + Mbox Pro to Pro tools HD 11. However, I lost my iLok and already report to ilok.com but not contact Avid yet. I've already bought ilok2 and got ilok license manager installed. Can I just go ahead and pay $999 for the upgrade?. All the licenses would be available for me (for my ilok2 ) without any problem? Also can I use Mbox Pro with Pro tools HD 11?

Thank you very much..
I believe in order to complete the upgrade you will have to have the licenses on your iLok to surrender.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appy View Post
Hi Gentlemen,

Thank you very much..

WKG is correct. You need to have the Ilok licenses actually on the Ilok to surrender, so you need to wait until Ilok reinstates your licenses.

And yes, you can use the Mbox Pro with HD11, or any other interface you desire.