Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Fast track Duo causes win7 to crash

Hi, This has never happened to me before until about a month ago. I've been using my FT duo for about 6 months prior. In windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 i have been experiencing the same IRQL Not Less Or Equal error blue screen... I'm not sure how to fix it. I've reinstalled my operating system, uninstalled drivers, etc. and I'm still having the same issues. Any Suggestions?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 AM

I have experienced the same. out of nothing!

i have tried EVERY possible solution (not bios related stuff). changed USB port, Updated BIOS, USB controller, run windows driver verifier and i have updated every driver.
Problem i find is that whenever i try to install the driver from avid, i always get BSOD. When i let windows update install this, i never experience BSOD. if windows update installs my driver, Pro tools doesnt recognize the interface.

More tips anyone?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:51 PM

Are you running the latest driver? you sure? (Device manager shows the correct version?).

I think you are just seeing the craptastic Fast Track drivers at work. Solvable by throwing that out the Fast Track and buying a interface from a vendor who can better support consumer devices. AFAIK that has been the resolution for other folks with similar symptoms... you find those by searching DUC.

---

You've tried everything? I bet not. If you want to exclude OS/driver messed things. Grab a spare HDD or SDD, do a full clean install of Windows 7 on that drive. Boot off that and install the correct version fast track driver on that disk and nothing else. Can you get that to Bluescreen the OS with Windows audio? if not install Pro tools and try with that.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:29 AM

So, I've been grappling with this problem since moving to Windows 10 (yes, I know, unsupported, but that hasn't stopped me before...). The recommended USB power optimizations are a good idea but I think I traced the problem down to something I had seen elsewhere. It seems that if you do not install the Fast Track hardware and drivers in the proper sequence Windows loads it's own driver for it, separate from and in addition to the Avid driver. These drivers conflict and I'll assume cause the buffer overflow. My guess is when I did the Windows 10 upgrade those drivers somehow got installed since I was not having problems before. I noticed when I could get PT to run under Windows 10 and brought up the System Window the Total CPU meter (I use Native PT 12) would bounce and spike every 5 or 10 seconds, very unusual behavior, but I supposed could be explained by a periodic buffer overflow. The solution is to uninstall the Windows driver first, before uninstalling and reinstalling the Avid driver. Do this by right clicking the interface in Device Manager and uninstall, and remember to click the remove the driver software option as well. Then run the Avid Fast Track installer to remove the Avid driver, then reboot. You should physically disconnect the Fast Track hardware from the USB port before doing anything. Remember to follow the install instructions for the Fast Track when you reinstall the Avid driver, that is install the Avid driver first before connecting the Fast Track via USB. This seems to have solved the problems I was having, no more buffer overflows, no more bouncing/spiking CPU meters, at least for now...