Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Default CPU overload headache, any clear answers yet?

hello to all out there. hope everyone is enjoying the new midi side of things in the new 7. a big sigh of relief for all im sure. unfortunately, im still having some issues with that old chestnut in the audio side of things"CPU over load, please increase hardware buffer size, etc, etc. error message" incredibly frustrating as i was bouncing down a dj set for a client (an hours worth of audio) and it throws up that msg midway through the very last track of the mix. tearing my hair out and cursing the earth and protools, well LE and M-Powered anyways, for not having the simple luxery of being able to bounce a mix offline and have it done in a fraction of the time, i try again. and again it spazs out. and again. its not the computer,cause the specs are through the roof enough to cope with this simple task. i had read earlier on this forum that external drives run off a firewire 800 port are not supported by protools, as initially thats how i had it set up and was receiving that same old msg wen only doing very basic work with minimal plugins. i read also that the problem had been resolved for some people by simply daisy chaining the external drive straight off the back of the m-audio box (im using the 410). i have done this, and it works, but the problem remains and this msg continues to get thrown up by protools at the most random and inappropriate of moments. are there any clear answers or information about this issue as yet digi. or better still, any solutions.
setup - G4 powerbook
- 1gig RAM
- 1.67Ghz
- superdrive combo
- 80gig Lacie external
- m-powered protools v7
- m-audio box 410

sincerely,

D
Old 11-30-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: CPU overload headache, any clear answers yet?

There are no solutions to your problems (bad news ), only work arounds (good news).

The only way to deal with your headache, and it's one i used to get very often, is to bus your mix.

send all your stereo mix, internally , through a spare bus, and then , instead of bouncing, record to another channel; this way, when PT stops, at least you've got up to where it stopped.

In the downtime, strip out all 3rd party plugs (add them back one at a time), follow the troubleshooting tips and make sure nothing else is affectng the session - bluetooth, airport, other programs open, disqualified plugs, enough memory, 7200rpm firewire drive (not over 80% full to be safe), try different playback engine combinations, dae buffer, preferences...

apart from that, you're in good shape...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 PM

thanks for the suggestions man. all these little bits and pieces of info help
cheers
d
Old 12-03-2005, 04:30 AM

I get the same CPU overload messages all the time, especially during bouncing.
PT 7 Mpowered is becoming pretty useless for me right now.

I have a perfectly maintained Tiger 10.4.3. system.
Never got this trouble with my old Audiomedia III card.
Now i use Audiophile 192.
Buffersettings set to high.
PT 7 optimized for duals ? pffff .. come on .. i have a dual 2.3 G5 and during a simple bounce with only 2 tracks
without plugs and a master track with only 1 plug it stresses the cpu's out.

This is a big joke.
Long live Logic :0)

Rob.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I get the same CPU overload messages all the time, especially during bouncing.
PT 7 Mpowered is becoming pretty useless for me right now.

I have a perfectly maintained Tiger 10.4.3. system.
Never got this trouble with my old Audiomedia III card.
Now i use Audiophile 192.
Buffersettings set to high.
PT 7 optimized for duals ? pffff .. come on .. i have a dual 2.3 G5 and during a simple bounce with only 2 tracks
without plugs and a master track with only 1 plug it stresses the cpu's out.

This is a big joke.
Long live Logic :0)

Rob.
Rob, even though you feel you have a perfectly maintained 10.4.3 system, something is obviously wrong somewhere. I'm running an Audiophile 192, G5 2.0 and I can have a loaded session (32 tracks, 70 or so plug-ins, 4 Aux with Altiverb, 1 Master and automation through out with out a single hickup when recording, playing or bouncing. Have you gone through all of the troubleshooting, checked drivers, even poor ram? What drive are you sending files over too? Maybe trashing the Digi Preferences, Digi Databases, etc? Maybe even try unistalling and re-installing. Always Repair Permissions...
Old 12-04-2005, 12:55 AM

there are other issues here.
your system is way powerful enough to cope with an awful lot more.
check out the troubleshooting tips, then get back to us regular users.
everything is gonna work out... here's tom with the weather...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: CPU overload headache, any clear answers yet? *DELETED*

Post deleted by DigiTechSupt
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM

hes obv just trolling lol
Old 12-16-2005, 03:56 AM

I dont doubt this man having problems.

When I installed 7, I bounced the exact session I bounced the day before with 6.8. Guess what, it wouldnt work with 7: just overloaded and maxed out. Even prior to the bounce, as I was selecting regions and what not, the computer was responding very noticeably slower than the day before when I had 6.8.

I did not change ANYTHING on my powerbook, which ran the session fine the day before, including bounce. I will admit that PTMP---7 was a big disapointment. All the whistles of MIDI implementation mean very little when the application itself would not run any faster on my computer. And my powerbook is not to blame, seeing as, like I said, the session, bounce, and even the application ran faster with 6.8.

Any thoughts?

I think Digi should have something to say about this.

(btw, I'm using a 410)

matt wood
Old 12-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Avid

A few questions first.

1. Which FW hard drive are you using? Are you possibly using a FW400-FW800 adaptor cable?
2. What is the exact error number is the messages you're getting.
3. Have you done ALL the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting thread?
4. Does anything change if you using the internal hard drive and disconnect the FW drive entirely?
5. Have you checked to make sure all your plug-ins are compatible?

Remember - the more specific information you can give us, the easier it is to troubleshoot.