Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Gray Space at Beginning: Before 00:00:00

All of the sessions we have in PT 7.4.2 are opening, in the Edit Window, with a large empty gray area to the left of the actual tracks. The session start time is at zero, and all the track start at zero; this isn't usable space so there's no dragging over there. There's the track names,colors,inserts, etc section, followed by a large empty gray area, followed by the actual session.

Any thoughts?

stu
Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Open the Session Set Up window, and change the Session Start Time to 00:00:00:00, and select "Maintain Time Code", and you will have access to all that space!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:01 PM

AutoScrolling On?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Gray Space at Beginning: Before 00:00:00

Session startup is aleady at 0:00.
Autoscrolling is on.

stu
Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 PM

"Open the Session Set Up window, and change the Session Start Time to 00:00:00:00, and select "Maintain Time Code", and you will have access to all that space!"

Michael,

We went to the Session Setup window and, as I said, it's already all set to 00:00:00:00. We don't see any spot that said "maintain time code" though. (We thought we'd try to reset things.) Nothing's "offset" or anything like that and everything works...just a big gray area before the tracks.

stu
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuseattle View Post
Session startup is aleady at 0:00.
Autoscrolling is on.

stu
Oh..ok...I see the scrolling thing...well, that's annoying. I hate "page" mode...so why does this happen when continuous mode is on? Seems like a waste of real estate to have it there just 'cause I want scrolling. Is this a bug or something that's adjustable? What would be the purpose of the empty space?

stu
Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM

To place the current position in the middle of the Edit Window... which is what that scroll mode does.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM

How else would it be? If you have scrolling set to Continous, that means the cursor is always in the center of the screen. If you return to the beginning of your timeline, then half of the screen is nothingness. It's not a "waste or real estate." Nothing should exist before the beginning of your timeline. It would be like walking to the edge of the universe and expecting to see more stars through the curtain.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
How else would it be? If you have scrolling set to Continous, that means the cursor is always in the center of the screen. If you return to the beginning of your timeline, then half of the screen is nothingness. It's not a "waste or real estate." Nothing should exist before the beginning of your timeline. It would be like walking to the edge of the universe and expecting to see more stars through the curtain.

So, continuous always puts the cursor in the middle of the screen...so at the beginning of the song, since there's nothing before, there's a big empty space. Then what's "centered" for in scrolling. Seems to me that continuous would be continuous from where you are, not necessarily centered. While "centered" would mean centered.

I don't mean to be dense here...something still doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for advice,

stu
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuseattle View Post
So, continuous always puts the cursor in the middle of the screen...so at the beginning of the song, since there's nothing before, there's a big empty space. Then what's "centered" for in scrolling. Seems to me that continuous would be continuous from where you are, not necessarily centered. While "centered" would mean centered.

I don't mean to be dense here...something still doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for advice,

stu
Mostly it varies the way selections are played back. Continuous plays back from your selection, or from where you put the cursor. Centered just stays "centered" no matter the selection. Either one uses a lot more system resources than page, therefore I have found very little reason to use in my workflow. Check out pg 311-313 in the 7.4 manual. SB