Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-21-2018, 08:07 PM

Default Recording MIDI to Audio Track

I used to have this all figured out and working, but I haven't done it in a couple years and of course it doesn't work when you just turn the system on again even though zero cables switched places.

So I recorded MIDI from my keyboard, I have MIDI In/Out going to the correct places in my Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40.

I have line cables going to DI boxes and those mic cables going into channels 3/4.

The MIDI input it set to All Channels
Output to Pro40 MIDI Channel 1 (pretty sure these were defaults)

Stereo audio track input is channels 1-2
Output channels 1-2

I record arm the audio track and hit record. No audio/waveform is recorded.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Thanks,
Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recording IO.jpg (11.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Recording MIDI to Audio Track

Can you make clear what you are trying to accomplish?

I always recorded midi instruments to an instrument track....

The. Bounced down to an Audio track after that
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Recording MIDI to Audio Track

I actually did record from my keyboard to an instrument track. I'd be happy to bounce that to an audio track (which I still can't get to work) but the only way for me to get the instrument track to work was to open up my Ivory Piano's plugin. And so it's using those sound samples, I want to use a bass effect from my keyboard.

My friend texted me and said:

"Midi won't track audio unless you are using a sampling plug in within pro tools.

Then you can send the midi to the plug in and then send it to a bus and pick that bus up with a stereo audio track"

I've done this very simply in the past before I had a VST plugin where I just recorded my keyboard (I thought it was to MIDI tracks, could have been instrument tracks) and then bounced to audio tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO.jpg (35.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:04 PM

I thought I responded last night but it must not have gone through.

I'd like to use effects from my keyboard. So my understanding is instrument tracks are for plugins or VST's and MIDI is for using a controller like a keyboard.

So I recorded the song, and I hear it playing back as my keyboard piano effect, but when I record arm the audio track, it doesn't write waveform.

MIDI tracks don't have any I/O or sends or buses or anything, so I'm not sure what else to do.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemetal View Post
I used to have this all figured out and working, but I haven't done it in a couple years and of course it doesn't work when you just turn the system on again even though zero cables switched places.

So I recorded MIDI from my keyboard, I have MIDI In/Out going to the correct places in my Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40.

I have line cables going to DI boxes and those mic cables going into channels 3/4.

The MIDI input it set to All Channels
Output to Pro40 MIDI Channel 1 (pretty sure these were defaults)

Output channels 1-2

I record arm the audio track and hit record. No audio/waveform is recorded.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Thanks,
Ryan

Its not clear what audio output you want to record. If its a VI, then you really just need to set up an instrument track and make sure your MIDI controller is playing it to lay down your part. Once you have the MIDI recorded, then you can just bounce the instrument track to audio. If you're using Pro Tools 12 or later, then you can just use "Commit" to convert to audio.

If you're bringing in audio from an external source (a hardware synth, say), then you need to make sure the audio output from your interface is correctly setup in PT and you can select it as audio input on an audio track to record the part.

Your description doesn't make clear exactly what it is you want to record.

HTH

Old 06-23-2018, 06:08 PM

So I looked up this article to check for MIDI input devices and configuring a MIDI controller: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-in-pro-tools/

My Korg Triton Extreme doesn't show up as a MIDI controller, but it won't let me add it either. I downloaded drivers as well. Nothing.

Yet, PT does recognize input from my keyboard, it just doesn't show up in the MIDI input device list. It just says Pro40 MIDI.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:

So switch the audio track input to channels 3-4.

(Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do... You're trying to record the audio FROM the keyboard INTO pro tools, right?)
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
So I looked up this article to check for MIDI input devices and configuring a MIDI controller: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...-in-pro-tools/

My Korg Triton Extreme doesn't show up as a MIDI controller, but it won't let me add it either. I downloaded drivers as well. Nothing.

Yet, PT does recognize input from my keyboard, it just doesn't show up in the MIDI input device list. It just says Pro40 MIDI.

Not all possible MIDI keyboards are listed, but that doesn't really matter. As long as the choice is close to what you have, things will work.