Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2016, 12:47 PM

Default 4 years free updates ending in less than a month. Need help purchasing the best plan

Dear Jeffro / Avid

Four years ago while studying, I purchased the student edition of Pro Tools which has given me updates free since. My 4 year period ends on 17th January 2017, so as I understand things I will now need to purchase an annual plan in order to stay current.

Since the release of 12.4 my Avid account has been broken and not receiving the installer files correctly. For the past 8 months I have been assisted by Corina at customer services who has delivered by the installers directly and deposited the relevant iLok asset to ensure it runs. It has been a complete pain in the backside, and despite her assurances that the technical department have been looking into things my account still is not fixed.

Having had these issues, I am now concerned that my account will not be correctly renewed or I purchase the incorrect item. In fact I don't even see all the options I would expect in the Avid store. Corina advised me to speak with a local dealer, but given the issues with my account I would prefer someone at Avid just gets it sorted so it works properly going forward and I correctly receive the updates. I emailed pre sales support over the weekend and have not had anything back so thought I would try here as this was where I finally got my free update to 12 sorted out.

I currently duel boot my system between Mountain Lion and El Capitan, so I can run Pro Tools 10 with my Complete Production Toolkit for projects where I require the additional track count especially when using 96kHz sample rates, and the rest of the time use 12.

As I look to getting on an annual plan am I correct in my understanding that I have to choose between trading in my CPTK and regular Pro Tools for a HD Software licence but then facing annual costs of $399 or I lose my CPTK functionality and stay on the regular but with an annual fee of $99?

I have had a look at the Avid store and am unable to find the renewal plan for $399 should I choose to go down this route and trade up my CPTK. I remember when the 12 licences were sent to students it had a 10/11 + CPTK to 12HD option in the store so I double checked on here and was told i'd still be able to exchange my 10/11/12 licence for HD software but would have to contact Avid directly to do so. I also double checked during the live webinar held September last year if I will still be able to upgrade this year and was told I will.

Obviously with my free updates period ending in a months time, and knowing that the holidays are fast approaching I am keen to get this resolved and up to date as soon as possible as I do not want to end up in a situation where the temporary licences deposited by customer support to enable me to run 12.6 expire and leave me unable to work, and I believe that it costs more to renew the plans once my free support period expires as I will have to do a reinstatement.

I look forward to receiving your replies and guidance through the process to purchase the correct plan for my needs and ensure my system stays up to date and working... So far it seems no one from customer services or from the webstore presales has been able to help!