Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Opening multiple sessions at the same time

You are aware of the Import Session Data option?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2016, 09:28 AM

If you name files in one session, can you not just open that session's audio folder while in another session and drag and drop into the open session?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Logic's method is by far the most intuitive, & one I use a lot (especially when dealing with different arrangements/ mixes of a song). The only proviso is that in order to have two sessions open & copy parts between the two (drag & drop style) is that you need to disable Core Audio - surely a similar method would be possible in PT (by disabling the Playback engine)?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
If you name files in one session, can you not just open that session's audio folder while in another session and drag and drop into the open session?
Instead of naming files, I'd rather name my tracks properly and import session data becomes very helpful, and time-saving
Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 PM

Agreed, but not what the OP was asking for.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM

Back in the day, before I started on PT, I used Nuendo. Pretty much from v1.0 I could open multiple sessions at once but, from memory, only 1 could be foreground/active at a time, this was a great feature as it allowed me to switch between sessions, audition parts and then drag & drop (or copy & paste) often complex edits and FX into another session - VERY user friendly!

Working in Radio, I tend to work with sessions where the time line runs into hours rather than just minutes (often projects will span months with daily updates and it's handy to keep everything in the one place rather than ending up with 50 plus sessions for the same job), this is where "Import Session Data" can be a bit of a pain... if I need an edited music bed or some fx importing the tracks can often import MOUNTAINS of stuff I DON'T want as well as the little bit I do, kinda kills the work flow.

So for mine, I'd LOVE to able to open more than 1 session at a time and be free to move data between the 2 - "Import Session Data" still has an important role to play(think automation data and plug in chains) but drag & drop/copy & paste are a no brainer.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Yeah but that's still one document open (project, session, whatever it's called). DP's unique chunks feature is indeed the closest we get to having multiple projects open at the same time, but it's still one document, and there's no way to cut/copy/paste either to the next open one. On a side note, DP's behemoth UI can be a real drag, to say it politely, with large sequences. Anyway, that's a debate for motunation not the duc
Chunks AND sequences; I often have multiple sequences in the same DP project. As to the DP gui - I don't use the consolidated window. I have a window set with just the control panel, sequence editor, and clippings window open. Mixer for when I need it and when not needed I let it hide behind the SE.

QAPLA!
Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 PM

Sorry to bring back a old thread, but I needed this feature badly just now (to save time, headache and the unneeded extra steps to do some elaborate copy and pasting of sections between 2 songs now). So I googled wtf doesn't PT allow this. Brought me here. LOL

So here are my thoughts, and IMO this is still a very obvious thing to need and be able to do that at certain times Importing Session data, dragging from folders, or having ALL the tracks in the same session to then do it simply do not work the same or as easily. I shouldn't have to give examples, as that will take more typing, but anyone with a brain should be able to figure it out by now. This is irreplaceable IMO and a obvious NEED.

The "can'ts". I don't believe in the reasons mentioned why PT supposedly couldn't do it. Its simple, if both sessions are of the same sample rate and identical settings (that could be one criteria) then the one in the foreground (currently clicked on) would be the one "in action" and using all DSP, all resources from computer, etc.. The one in the background would be in "idle". They just code it so this "idle" possibility is a added feature. When a session is in idle, it is as good as closed, but not really, its loaded, its there and ready, but using zero DSP, zero resources other than to stay simply loaded up. Each session 100% as usual independently uses its own folders, fade files, etc.. So there is absolutely no issue here or no reason why this can't be implemented.

Its value would be intense and IMO more needed than some of these other features I never use.

Work around - Import ALL tracks needed (this can be a lot sometimes and if not using HDX then you'll need to play the deactivating tracks game which is messy to then reference parts quickly, etc..) - separate the tracks to 2 groups (version 1/v2, etc..) then do your copy and pasting all within the same session.

Most times I actually prefer that way anyway. Yes. But there are times where certain criteria gets in the way (needing massive plugs for each, too many tracks in one session so splitting it into 2 sessions keeps it cleaner and easier to figure out, etc..).

Next workaround I was hoping for but no dice, was allowing the copy to the clipboard to carry after I closed one and opened the other so I could then accomplish this but by closing the session and opening the other, pasting, saving, closing it then back to the other, copying, closing, opening the other, pasting.. etc.. But, nope. Once you close the session you lose your "copied" info I guess.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-14-2018, 01:49 PM

Import session data is the way to go
Old 01-14-2018, 02:32 PM

IIRC this feature was on the Avid questionnaire list for our consideration as a future feature.

For whatever that's worth - looks like we're getting new EQ graphics instead which I don't remember anyone wanted. It's a bit like the tea machine from Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which analyses the subject's brain, sending test signals down neural pathways to see what drink is best likely to be received. No-one knows why it does this, because it invariably produces the same brown liquid that is almost entirely unlike tea. Perhaps Avid will conquer the universe one day...

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM