Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Another (newer) video about Waves Digigrid

I don't know if this has been linked to yet, but it's a more hands on view of Digigrid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=S5kOS730UAw

Hopefully we can keep this on topic.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Another (newer) video about Waves Digigrid

Again this is interesting and I'm definitely going to watch it so thanks for posting it and as it will work with Pro Tools it's a subject for the DUC, but it's not an AAX Plug in so isn't the general forum a better place for this?

I/O/Madi/Mixer/non AAX plug ins that will similar to rewire get in and out of your software in 1ms.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 AM

I'll have to run the test, but I think the smaller of my rigs which is a i5 2500k runs more than 300 c4 instance. So their flagship I/OS is not an I7 afterall.

//edit

After testing at 96K I was able to run 200 instances of the c4
At 48k I was able to run 390 instances of the c4

And that was at 3 core 85%. I could have raised the numbers slightly if I ran it at 99%.

So all in all, as term of native processing power, the digigrid I/OS is good, but it would get shadowed by any good i7 build.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the video. I also wondered how Digigrid fits into the project studio, so cool that Jason asked the question. Still waiting to see Digigrid in a real world situation, but it looks like it could be a solid solution for project studios as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post

So all in all, as term of native processing power, the digigrid I/OS is good, but it would get shadowed by any good i7 build.
OTOH... HDN, Apollo, Digigrid, etc., for the average studio with an i7 build, is really about tracking at near zero latency (with plugins if desired), as well as sound quality from the hardware. And if you add your i7 computer power to the Digigrid IOS interface that currently gets about 300 C4 plugins, then you have a very powerful native system.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Some Waves propganda for soundgrid.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ml?wapkw=waves
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM

One key thing I got from the video "coming out in the summer, we might have a better processor in there by then"

If those are standard mother boards like soundgrid I wonder if you could drop in a socket compatible upgrade yourself.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
One key thing I got from the video "coming out in the summer, we might have a better processor in there by then"

If those are standard mother boards like soundgrid I wonder if you could drop in a socket compatible upgrade yourself.
you'd probably void the waves warranty by doing that, but being it's a computer, why not.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
Thanks for the video. I also wondered how Digigrid fits into the project studio, so cool that Jason asked the question. Still waiting to see Digigrid in a real world situation, but it looks like it could be a solid solution for project studios as well.

OTOH... HDN, Apollo, Digigrid, etc., for the average studio with an i7 build, is really about tracking at near zero latency (with plugins if desired), as well as sound quality from the hardware. And if you add your i7 computer power to the Digigrid IOS interface that currently gets about 300 C4 plugins, then you have a very powerful native system.
I'm still not convinced about their claims for near zero latency with the routing that has to be done. AAX, digigrid, AAX, AAX, gigigrid, back to pro tools, that's a hazard for latency, not so bad in mixing, but if trying to track through that... err. yeah right, even with HD that was a problem. But if solely for a mixing environment.. I'd tell people to get the Apollo or UAD-2 cards before getting the digigrid. If the price is right and it's 4k for the I/OS (as what was rumored) and on top of that you have to buy your plugins in TDM versions (as what was with soundgrid in the past) then it's extremely expensive even for project studios, and they would be better served with the Apollo for near zero tracking with plugins, again as long as you don't mismatch aax and Uad plugs.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Default Another (newer) video about Waves Digigrid

That is pretty impressive. 300 C4's at .8ms latency round trip. I use an ilive system with Dante to record our church services. I've been interested in adding a PCIe Dante card so I could use some plug-ins for live processing. The PCIe card would lower latency to 3ms. Each direction. Not counting the latency causes by the daw and plug-in itself. So I'm looking at 6-8 ms best case through Dante.

I had looked past the waves card for the ilive system. But if they do get some 3rd parties to start developing I might become a lot more interested. Anyways guess I will keep up with what develops from this.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 AM

I'm still waiting for an answer on what latency is in various situations. Apparently Marsdy has passed my questions on to waves, but they are still unanswered.

Adding in the "mix-n-match digigrid with AAX plugins on the same channel strip" factor is another situation that I'm curious about.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?