Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Default pro tools 9

I'm sorry if this has already come up in the forum! This is my first posting as I have just joined! I have searched but cannot find an answer. I recently bought a used pro tools 9 from a local seller, not a retail shop or the internet. . I asked if it has an Ilok as I have read this is a requirement of Pt9, and was told because it has not been registered, it didn't need one. I thought this was strange but took them for their word in good faith. It loads onto my pc fine but alas won't run without Ilok. I know stupid of me! Please dont crucify me for being an idiot! I have a 3rd gen Ilok already and my question is, am I able to buy the licence from you guys at Avid and have it transfered into my Ilok account, I have the discs but there was not even a licence number in the box. The seller does not have the original ilok that came with it anymore and has no idea where it is and I've just found out, he has gone to Florida and cannot be contacted now. apart from calling me a dumbass, would any be able to give me some constructive advice...thanks Adam
Old 01-18-2018, 04:13 PM

Default Re: pro tools 9

You would need the registration card for the iLok license, was that not included?

If not, you are out of luck. Avid and approved Avid re-sellers do not sell Pro Tools 9. The current version is Pro Tools 12, and that is the version currently for sale at avid.com, sweetwater.com, and other approved sellers.

You could try the trial of Pro Tools 11

and/or you can subscribe for a month to Pro Tools 12 if you have something that needs to be recorded right now.

Or of course buy a perpetual license to Pro Tools 12

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-18-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
You would need the registration card for the iLok license, was that not included?

If not, you are out of luck. Avid and approved Avid re-sellers do not sell Pro Tools 9. The current version is Pro Tools 12, and that is the version currently for sale at avid.com, sweetwater.com, and other approved sellers.

You could try the trial of Pro Tools 11

and/or you can subscribe for a month to Pro Tools 12 if you have something that needs to be recorded right now.

Or of course buy a perpetual license to Pro Tools 12
thanks for the quick reply,
I did notice an ebay sale of a pro tools 9 unused Ilok, don't know if this will be throwing good money at bad or could be the answer.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Just an opinion; I would not spend too much chasing older Pro Tools(unless you plan on lots of collaboration with others that also run PT7,8,9). One reason for this is, file format changed with 10 and up. Another reason is that 11 and 12 are both 64 bit programs(which SHOULD mean much better performance, assuming you run a 64 bit OS). Also, depending on your computer and OS, PT9 might not work at all(so far, you have given us zero information).

If you are just trying to "get your feet wet", there is Pro Tools First for free(since you already have a current iLok which is required)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-19-2018, 09:23 PM

Thanks for your reply Dave, I've seen your posts before and I know you always try and help people. I've been using PT8 for about 3-4 years and it just works really well for me. I just do home recording nothing fancy on my Mac pro tower running osx 10.6. 16gb Ram, separate hard drive for the audio files. The only reason I wanted to try out 9 is that I sometimes throw a few music ideas and vice-versa to a buddy of mine in UK and he's on 9, plus I wanted to try another interface that may have a better lway of dealing with latency and as you know pt8 runs with the mbox family etc. I know the sound logic for upgrading to 12 but I personally don't have the funds at the moment. I just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation, owning the pro tools software but not the original Ilok, I was also trying to establish if the Ilok came with a built in authorization code or that came on a separate card within the purchase of the discs for it to be entered manually as you do when setting up pro tools 8.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:15 AM

All makes sense The iLok comes with nothing on it unless you buy from a user and they turn over everything to you(including iLok login and password).

As for dealing with latency, I'm not sure a change in PT version is going to have any affect, so maybe its time to explore what's going on with your rig that might be causing issues. For starters, are you able to use a 64 buffer or is 128 as low as you can go?(I suspect its 128 for a USB interface like the Mbox). Next; is latency okay if you try recording with no plugins? If it is, then you need to figure out which plugins are the problem and swap them out with something that has little or no latency. For example, Maxim has a ton of latency, so you would never be able to track with Maxim in a session, while BF76 has 0 latency and would not cause any problem at all. I also see the advantage of 9 for you, both for trying other interfaces, and especially for the ADC(which LE8 doesn't offer).

If you haven't checked yet, do check to see if PT9 is compatible with your OS(no point buying software that won't work). On a good note, PT9 or PT10 should be pretty affordable on the used market(but do check compatibility before spending your cash)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
All makes sense The iLok comes with nothing on it unless you buy from a user and they turn over everything to you(including iLok login and password).

As for dealing with latency, I'm not sure a change in PT version is going to have any affect, so maybe its time to explore what's going on with your rig that might be causing issues. For starters, are you able to use a 64 buffer or is 128 as low as you can go?(I suspect its 128 for a USB interface like the Mbox). Next; is latency okay if you try recording with no plugins? If it is, then you need to figure out which plugins are the problem and swap them out with something that has little or no latency. For example, Maxim has a ton of latency, so you would never be able to track with Maxim in a session, while BF76 has 0 latency and would not cause any problem at all. I also see the advantage of 9 for you, both for trying other interfaces, and especially for the ADC(which LE8 doesn't offer).

If you haven't checked yet, do check to see if PT9 is compatible with your OS(no point buying software that won't work). On a good note, PT9 or PT10 should be pretty affordable on the used market(but do check compatibility before spending your cash)
Cheers for the reply, I wasn't sure about how the pt9 Ilok works. I do tend to drop my buffer size if the latency is noticeable, I also sometimes just run ny vocals etc into my Mackie mixer first and then ouput to the mbox2 pro interface, this works pretty well. I'm up to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on my Mac, but it's as far as the machine will go, and also I have pro tools running on another system for my daughter to use on Windows 7. I'm just kicking myself that I didn't check the pt9 software that I bought and make sure it had the Ilok with it! Its my own fault, The seller said it was un registered and good to go, I just didn't get chance to look in the box until a day or so later! doh! I was just hoping their was a way around it. I live n learn! thanks also to Benoni for your assistance.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:52 AM

I sanyone having issues with PT 9 for students ?

I have two systems and my PT 12 expired and I was going back to the

other system I hadn't used in a while and it doesn't let me use the PT9.

Spoke with the ilok people and they said that Avid removed it from my

ilok ? They further said they dont know why,....I need it . Could someone

help me ?