Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Min:Sec counter always rounds down in the "length" display? Why?

Hi -

I'm not too familiar with frame rates but I am trying to understand them more so I am throwing this observation/question out to the internet to see if I can learn more from my puzzlement.

So I set the grid in Pro Tools to display in Feet+Frames and set the session Feet+Frames rate to 23.976, and then down in the edit area, I highlighted a selection and command E'd (split) a section of a wav file so that the edit selection was exactly the length of 1 frame.

I then went back up to the top middle of Pro Tools and changed the display to Min:Secs. In the box where it shows the length of the edit selection, it says it was 0:00.041, which is inaccurate because 1 divided by 23.976 is 0.041608...

So the length should be .042 and not .041. In my experiment, the beginning of my selection is at 2.585 seconds (this number is arbitrary) in the main counter display. so if I add the length reported by pro Tools of .041, the end of the selection should occur at 2.626. However, when I hit tab to move the cursor to the end of my newly created selection, the main time displays 2.627. That is exactly what it should be displaying in the world of math, but not according to the length readout.

So from that, I gather the length readout is always rounded down regardless of whether the (not shown) next decimal place is above or below 5. And it makes me wonder, why is this the case?

EDIT
Also, after some messing around with scenarios it would appear that the main counter rounds down as well, which probably should be the bigger point and title of this thread but this is an edit here and I don't know how to change the title of the thread.
END EDIT

I just wanted to throw this observation out there to see if there is a reason for Pro Tools to always round down. Obviously this is not a big deal or anything, but I feel like an explanation might lead to a better understanding of the world of frame rate, Which I am trying to figure out!

Last edited by Pique Arestiuvee; 02-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Min:Sec counter always rounds down in the "length" display? Why?

Feet and Frames are based on 24 Frames NOT 23.98
Do your experiment with the session at 24 frames.
Film is 24 frame. Hi Def is 23.98
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.