Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Default Mbox Mini Knob Gain problem

Hi There

I can't seem to find help for this....I appreciate any help at this point...

So, I have a Mbox Mini 3 that I came with ProTools 8 LE and my microphone is ElectroVoice RE20 (Cardioid)- My PC runs on Windows 7.

The problem - Unless I turn my Gain Knob all the way to the right, I almost don't hear anything. When I do finally reach the last part of the turn, sound pops in and I hear at MAX volume.

Now, Everything is plugged in fine, Gain knob is NOT pulled out, Mic volume is in the middle, mix knob is in the middle...software works fine, Mic is tested and works, I even tried a different mic and a different cable...So, am I the only one with this problem. OR is this a KNOWN problem?

Please help...
Zach
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Mbox Mini Knob Gain problem

What other mic did you try?
The RE20 is just like the SM7/7B it needs a lot of gain.

Mics like that aren't designed for just any pre.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Hi,

The other Mic I used was the AKG D5...it had more or less the same reaction...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM

What type of mic would you suggest i use to test it?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM

Try a condenser
Old 06-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachy View Post
Hi There

I can't seem to find help for this....I appreciate any help at this point...

So, I have a Mbox Mini 3 that I came with ProTools 8 LE and my microphone is ElectroVoice RE20 (Cardioid)- My PC runs on Windows 7.

The problem - Unless I turn my Gain Knob all the way to the right, I almost don't hear anything. When I do finally reach the last part of the turn, sound pops in and I hear at MAX volume.

Now, Everything is plugged in fine, Gain knob is NOT pulled out, Mic volume is in the middle, mix knob is in the middle...software works fine, Mic is tested and works, I even tried a different mic and a different cable...So, am I the only one with this problem. OR is this a KNOWN problem?

Please help...
Zach
Hi Zachy, This is probably something you have looked at, but I wanted to point out the 'headphones' knob may have something to do with what you are hearing. With this adjusted, the gain adjustments seemed to make more sense for me.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM

Hi Gremlin, I've tried tinkering with the headphones volume but its not the case...imagine that yopu hear nothing and then all of a sudden you hear 100%...and when I say 100%, you can hear the air move...meaning distortion...so I can't record.

Ski, I still need to try a condenser mic.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM

Someone (technician) told me this might be a software conflict with my operating system...said he's heard about this issue with the the mboxes...does that sound logical to anyone?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachy View Post
Someone (technician) told me this might be a software conflict with my operating system...said he's heard about this issue with the the mboxes...does that sound logical to anyone?
Not really.
I would get a condenser and they look at the gain settings in the mBox Control Console while testing it.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 PM

Did you ever determine the root cause to this problem? I purchased an mbox 3 yesterday and am having the exact same issue. No volume in the monitor headphones until turning the gain all the way up. I barely able to hear the mic until about 98% then it is too loud to record because of the distortion

This happens with my dynamic microphone and condenser mic on two different computers.

I'm beginning to believe I got a defective unit. Wondering if you came to the same conclusion.