Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Default Re: PLAY 4.2.25 is now available for download

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It would be easier if you went to the Soundsonline form and saw for yourself the issues with the new Play version.

You can, on a per instrument articulation basis, have Play load all to ram. The actual menu option you're looking for is 'stream from disk'. This is not a global setting unfortunately. The Play 4 manual explains it well. I load all into ram and it really helps things to run better.
Stream from disk is a very old tech. I'm surprised that they decided to go with this. Granted that with SSD it helps a lot with the seek and read time that used to boggle down that way of working in the past, but it's still way slower than having all the patch loaded into the ram. Might help for those with low amount of ram, but in the end they would be better served with larger ram amount.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 AM

Alright, thanks for the replies, guys! I know I'll have a bit of learning curve ahead.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 AM

Heard from EW this morning and the problem is resolved and I'm downloading everything now. I'll be playing with Play tonight!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Heard from EW this morning and the problem is resolved and I'm downloading everything now. I'll be playing with Play tonight!
Alright!
Just don't get confused when the gui changes to fit the instrument you're loading. For instance Symphonic orchestra has one gui, Stormdrum has a different one, etc.

QAPLA!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Alright!
Just don't get confused when the gui changes to fit the instrument you're loading. For instance Symphonic orchestra has one gui, Stormdrum has a different one, etc.
Jack, Yes, that part I did know about, as I've watched several of the videos on the various instruments over the past few months. I think I get conceptually how it all works. Just need to get my hands on it and dive in!

Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 AM

This update broke exactly everything it said it fixed?

4.2.2 worked perfect for me. Updated to 4.2.25, and :
1: says i dont have the right authorizastion. but ince open i can load the sound. After save in protools 11.3.1 and re open same error message.

2: Cant find samples

Stand alone works fine. I reverted back to 4.2.2
works fine
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
1: says i dont have the right authorizastion. but ince open i can load the sound. After save in protools 11.3.1 and re open same error message.

2: Cant find samples
Same thing here Louis! Exactly,,, I've tried the process that they emailed me, but still no samples found, or 'Don't have a valid installation for EW Diamond'?? (Hollywood strings & brass). I was gone for a few days, hope to resolve it soon. (Or revert back to 4.2.2??). Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 AM

Over the weekend I had some time to work more with my new EW libraries. As I moved beyond just auditioning one module at a time to hear the different samples, I began encountering some of the issues others have described here.

I wanted to use a patch from "Symphonic Choirs" in a session I already have that has several tracks, including some with Reason. I can instantiate Play, bring up the choir sound I wanted. But, I can not save the session with the new track. Every time I try to save, PT crashes...screen goes white, blue circle of death appears, then PT shuts down and reboots all by itself. This also happened when I tried to change patches in the track. So I tried using a different module...Voices of Passion...same result. Same with Stormdrum2.

At first I thought it might be due to Reason with Rewire and all that. But, I had the same issue in another, far simpler session with just a few other VI's, like Nexus 2, Serum and Xpand2. Its not a memory issue, as I have 24gig of RAM. It must be related to whatever the issue is that others have been having with Play.

EW says they're releasing an update as early as this week to address some of these issues. I hope it solves this.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Over the weekend I had some time to work more with my new EW libraries. As I moved beyond just auditioning one module at a time to hear the different samples, I began encountering some of the issues others have described here.

I wanted to use a patch from "Symphonic Choirs" in a session I already have that has several tracks, including some with Reason. I can instantiate Play, bring up the choir sound I wanted. But, I can not save the session with the new track. Every time I try to save, PT crashes...screen goes white, blue circle of death appears, then PT shuts down and reboots all by itself. This also happened when I tried to change patches in the track. So I tried using a different module...Voices of Passion...same result. Same with Stormdrum2.

At first I thought it might be due to Reason with Rewire and all that. But, I had the same issue in another, far simpler session with just a few other VI's, like Nexus 2, Serum and Xpand2. Its not a memory issue, as I have 24gig of RAM. It must be related to whatever the issue is that others have been having with Play.

EW says they're releasing an update as early as this week to address some of these issues. I hope it solves this.
Hope they get it fixed. You mentioned Stormdrum 2. There's an issue that may not have been fixed. The Spring Drum patch was missing; the entry is in the patch list but it wouldn't play right or at all. If you run into that issue PM me and I can help with that.

QAPLA!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Hope they get it fixed. You mentioned Stormdrum 2. There's an issue that may not have been fixed. The Spring Drum patch was missing; the entry is in the patch list but it wouldn't play right or at all. If you run into that issue PM me and I can help with that.
Haven't tried that one yet...and thanks for your offer to help. With 7 new instruments to play with...its kinda like a kid in a candy store. I've decided to just go slowly and get to know how everything works and sounds. And I also got Omnisphere 2.0...