Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 AM

Default Apple's new Macbook Pro with Retina Display

Just a few quick notes:

Discontinued is the 17" MPB so if you want one, get it before it is out of stock.

13" and 15" (Non-Retina) gets refresh (faster processors and 2 USB3 ports)

Retina model comes only in 15" and is thinner and lighter (flash drive only - no spinning HD). Also DVD-RW is gone (external USB only). Ports on both left and right of notebook including HDMI port and 2 Thunderbolt ports. (NO FIREWIRE PORT)

All models have faster CPU and GPU

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Apple's new Macbook Pro with Retina Display

They also announced a new upcoming Thunderbolt to Firewire cable, which will be great for many reasons, and will allow you to use it with this new Macbook.

The new Thunderbolt to Ethernet cable is only $29, hopefully this firewire one will be the same.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 AM

That would be a great solution for many of us.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 AM

I would immediately buy two of those thunderbolt to firewire cables. I've been waiting for so long....
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 PM

I am pretty new to Pro Tools. I have been using a 15" MacBook Pro that was purchased in September. I have just received the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and a 2.6 GHz (with a turboboost to 3.6 GHz) processer yesterday and so far the machine is amazingly fast! The only downfall I have right now is the fact that Apple as not released its new Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter yet... and for some reason I had Pro Tools 10.2 crash on me for the first time (so far it happend only once). I am hoping that the next update of PT10 will incorporate the HiDef Resolution of the Retina Display.

Like I said I am not a heavy user, only a couple of tracks here and there. But this computer is pretty amazing and light weight. I would recommend it to anyone interested.
2012 15" MacBook Pro With Retina Display
2.6 GHz i7 (Turboboost to 3.6 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SDD
3 TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD.
500 GB Western Digital External Firewire HDD
Running:
Pro Tools 11.0.3
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bielefeld View Post
I am pretty new to Pro Tools. I have been using a 15" MacBook Pro that was purchased in September. I have just received the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and a 2.6 GHz (with a turboboost to 3.6 GHz) processer yesterday and so far the machine is amazingly fast! The only downfall I have right now is the fact that Apple as not released its new Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter yet... and for some reason I had Pro Tools 10.2 crash on me for the first time (so far it happend only once). I am hoping that the next update of PT10 will incorporate the HiDef Resolution of the Retina Display.

Like I said I am not a heavy user, only a couple of tracks here and there. But this computer is pretty amazing and light weight. I would recommend it to anyone interested.
Are you using an external drive of any kind? Or are you using just the SSD?
I want to buy the retina macbook pro too, but I am afraid performance is affected by not using a second drive for recording/playback. As far as I know SSD are not officially supported by Avid and they always recomend a second drive just for record/playback.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bielefeld View Post
I am pretty new to Pro Tools. I have been using a 15" <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">MacBook</a> Pro that was purchased in September. I have just received the new 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and a 2.6 GHz (with a turboboost to 3.6 GHz) processer yesterday and so far the machine is amazingly fast! The only downfall I have right now is the fact that <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">Apple</a> as not released its new Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter yet... and for some reason I had Pro Tools 10.2 crash on me for the first time (so far it happend only once). I am hoping that the next update of PT10 will incorporate the HiDef Resolution of the Retina Display.

Like I said I am not a heavy user, only a couple of tracks here and there. But this <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">computer</a> is pretty amazing and light weight. I would recommend it to anyone interested.
Did you install PT 10 using a macbook pro superdrive?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Default Apple's new Macbook Pro with Retina Display

My setup works fine. 15" MBP non-retina 2012. Mbox works good along it all my other interfaces.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
I think MAC is doing a great job at keeping things "NEW" like hey why do we need all these ports when you can use one of these (http://www.belkin.com/pressRoom/rele...lt_010812.html) and just use one cable to connect to everything??

Oh and the new display looks absolutely fantastic!
Are you using one of those hubs? right now I have to use a t-bolt to fw800 for my Saffire which takes away my ability to hook up my 32" monitor
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors