Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

Quote:
As for lapping your CPU, I personally wouldn't. For one, that voids your warranty. I'd just get the right amount of Arctic Silver on your heat sink, get a nice after market cooler and make sure you have good ventilation in your case. But of course, it's up to you....
I agree. There is no need to even OC these things. There is a TON of power here just at stock speeds. Keep everything at stock and go make some music.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-13-2007, 05:44 PM

Ok. I have been putting that line like they say and then I have been doing what Sunburst said and taking a little plastic baggie and spreading it over the whole CPU. I then put a little more on it and spread it out. This is wrong?

I'm idling at(while on the internet)~~~~~~~~~~> 54 55 48 54 According Core temp.

Looks like I should take it off...AGAIN and do just the line of the stuff and trust that it will spread properly. After I get my fan 120 mm fan tomorrow and see what that does.

P.S. I am using the stock Intel heatsink and fan.

P.S.S. I would love to get back to music but I got to get this temp down first.

DJ
Old 08-13-2007, 06:12 PM

If you keep getting the same results, try a different heatsink. Maybe the fan will help. What are other people getting temp wise with the stock heatsink? Anyone? These results may be very normal. Remember, I was getting idle temps of around 48c with the Scythe before turning down the vcore. And the Scythe is far superior to the Intel cooler. When it comes down to it, you're not going to burn up your CPU, even at those high idle temps.

The q6600 should be safe up to 100c anyway. EDIT: After more reading, it looks like that number should be 85c. In any case, that's WAY hotter then you'd want to be running.

BTW, what are your full load temps? Sorry if you already posted that and I missed it.

I just ordered the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Results look very promising from AnandTech. Seems to be the coolest air cooler out there. We'll see how it compares to the Scythe Ninja.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
If you keep getting the same results, try a different heatsink. Maybe the fan will help. What are other people getting temp wise with the stock heatsink? Anyone? These results may be very normal. Remember, I was getting idle temps of around 48c with the Scythe before turning down the vcore. And the Scythe is far superior to the Intel cooler. When it comes down to it, you're not going to burn up your CPU, even at those high idle temps. The q6600 should be safe up to 100c anyway.

BTW, what are your full load temps? Sorry if you already posted that and I missed it.

I just ordered the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Results look very promising from AnandTech. Seems to be the coolest air cooler out there. We'll see how it compares to the Scythe Ninja.
I haven't done any full load temps yet because I'm trying to get some of these basic things dealt with. Should I redo the Arctic silver 5 like you/they say and see what happens? I probably won't do it until tomorrow as I probably get my new case fan then. Hopefully the screws that attached the plastic tube will work with the fan.

Are these lists of heatsink fans considered quieter than the stock intel heatsink fan?

Edit: Just figured out that I would have to get a fan seperately to attach to the heatsink. Or not? Newbie strikes again hard.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM

The Scythe Ninja amoungst others are MUCH quieter than the Intel at heavy loads. I can't even hear the Scythe unless I record enable a condenser mic. And even then it's not horrible. Check here..

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=3001&p=8
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 PM

Edit: I think I might get this one instead.

http://www.buy.com/prod/zalman-cnps9...202848517.html
Old 08-13-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Ok. I have been putting that line like they say and then I have been doing what Sunburst said and taking a little plastic baggie and spreading it over the whole CPU. I then put a little more on it and spread it out.
It's easy to put too much of the stuff on. All you really want the paste to do is fill in the tiny pits and voids between the two metal surfaces. That's one reason some guys polish the heatsink, is to reduce some of those voids. I had no idea some folks have polished the CPU heat spreader but that seems a little weird to me.
I've been lazy sometimes and just put a little rice-sized dollop in the center and squooshed it out with the heatsink. If you want to spread it out evenly, here's an idea - use an old credit card as a spreader, and drag the stuff out evenly. I'd say you don't want it any thicker than a thin coat of paint. Unless the top of your heat spreader is actually warped, as one of the guys above indicated his was.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 PM

Ok. I'm gonna do what the Arctic Instructions say and get this right. I'm gonna order the Zalman fan and get this right once and for all. Thanks folks.

DJ
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 AM

I've finally go my Quad going. I really like this Noctua NH-U12F, it's quiet and my idle temps is around 22 deg C. System is 100% stable at the moment @ 2700MHz.... I will say though that I'm not a fan of this AMI BIOS, then again could be I was so used to tweaking settings on my P4 with an Award BIOS!!

Going to go and get get the ADS Pyro 64 in and then install PT.

I check in later and let you know how PT runs on the ADS card.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 AM

Guys
Ive had pcs for years never new the temp of any of them and still dont.Whats the big deal if it frys then theres something wrong isnt there? Ill replace it no big deal,but so far it never happened.
As Shane said,Go make some music.

brandy