Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Please Help with dialogue

Hey guys. I'm looking for some tips on recording simple dialogue. A friend of mine has asked me to record some narration for a project he's doing and i just wanted to see whats out there. Just wondering if anyone does this kind of thing and likes particular mics...or just has gerernal tips for voice overs. I'll have all female voice talent...Thanks for any and all input! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Please Help with dialogue

Anyone? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 07:38 PM

Ask that same question here and you will get some answers [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 02-26-2003, 07:42 PM

Hello. Swpowe, are you going to be recording in your studio or doing ISDN? That might have some other factors to consider. If you wanted to make this your bread and butter specialty, you may want to spend your money on a specific mic. If it's just this project you are working on, then any condenser you have will be more than fine. If you don't have any condensers a Shure 58 and, believe or not, a 57 will do in a pinch. If you have more than one condenser, then listen to your female VO and find the one that fits her best.

Other than that, there are no special things to worry about. If your talent is a pro, you will find the session quite smooth. Use a screen, get some water and/or hot tea and lemon. About the only thing to keep in mind is that if the narration is destined to be the only audio in the project, such as an audiobook, you probably want to monitor through headphones. When you record VO for other things (commercials, films, etc.) there is a music bed and other sounds that the VO sits on that mask any little sound. Audiobook narration very often is just the VO and nothing else. You will find once you EQ, compress, reverb, etc. those little things stand out. A stray pencil movement, paper rattling, etc. Headphones will help you greatly focus on every little sound. Also, make sure the talent has a music stand with enough room to hold two pages. That way they don't have to turn a page mid sentence, etc.

As I said above, any condenser will do fine. If you decide to do this on a regular basis I have used Audio Technica AT4033 and AT4040 for VO with excellent results.