Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Default "Pinning" the tempo ruler / keeping regions in time when moving

Hey gang,

I ran in to a tempo problem the other day, and thought I found a solution on the DUC. But I can't figure out how to do it.

I recorded multiple takes of a song in 1 session. By the 3rd take, the band wanted to speed the tempo up. So i added a new tempo marker, and proceeded with the session.

Now that we are done with the tracking, I want to move the 3rd take to 00:00:00 in the session (discarding the 1st and 2nd takes).

I have to update the tempo markers in the beginning of the session so the click matches when I drag the 3rd take to the top of the session. But when I do that the 3rd take gets shifted - and is now out of time with the click.

I read that to keep a tempo marker locked in place, you have to "pin" the tempo ruler. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. The only mention of pinning in the Reference Guide is in regards to Warp Time, but I don't want to do any warping. I just want to move regions on a session that was originally recorded in multiple tempos.

Alternatively, is it better to just delete time from the session, so the 3rd take, is at the top of the session? If so, how do you do that?

Sorry for the newbie question. I have been using PT for years, but I never work with multiple tempos in 1 session.

Any suggestions?
geelo
Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Re: "Pinning" the tempo ruler / keeping regions in time when moving

Probably the track is in Ticks mode. It needs to be in Samples mode. That will keep the audio regions from moving when the tempo changes.

Yes, I would delete the time. You'll need to select across all tracks, including the tempo track. Make a selection from the tempo marker for the third take to the top. You want the end of the selection to be exactly on a bar line. An easy way to do that is enter to Grid mode (bars and beats grid), click in the top ruler at the third take tempo marker, then shift-click in the tempo ruler. Then hit Shift+Return. Switch to Shuffle mode, then hit the delete key.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks for your help daeron80. Switching ticks mode vs. sample mode did not resolve the issue of the regions sliding after tempo changes.

However, in this application, the "cut time" function was exactly what I needed to use. Since it not only cut the bad takes, but also the old tempos that I did not need.

Thanks for you help!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 AM

Hello, not sure how old this thread but, my sessions have a lot of tempo changes, and sometimes I leave a space of like 8 bars so the drummer can start again with the new click. I just figured I would slide every thing over later, but I can't get the tempo to move with the tracks. Everything gets all out of whack. Does anyone no how to move tracks and have the tempo follow, Thanks