Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Can't Hardware Monitor with mBox 3 & PT 9.0.5

Ok, so I've spent 2 days reading manuals & scouring the internet for my specific issue to no avail. I'm either doing something fundamentally wrong and elementary, or there is a bug.

First off, here are the system specs for my home edit/overdub desk where I'm using the mBox:
-2009 iMac, 2.4 Intel C2D, 4gigs Ram.
-OS 10.7.2 (Yes, I realize Pro Tools 9 is still in 'Beta" for Lion)
-Pro Tools 9.0.5
-Avid mBox (Gen 3)
-OWC Mercury Elite Pro FW 800 Drive

When I switched to Lion a couple of weeks ago, I spent a couple of days COMPLETELY wiping my system clean on both of my Macs, using the the "7 Pass Erase" overnight to zero the hard drives... Then doing clean, complete fresh installs of all my software & drivers.

Here is my problem:

-If I open the mBox control panel in stand-alone mode, I can see my "Analog 1-2" inputs and have control over them.
However, as soon as I open Pro Tools, the "Analog 1-2" gets greyed out, muted and I have no control over them.

-I've tried everything... Cutting off delay compensation, trying both low-latency mode and without LLM to no avail. The only way I can record, say, a guitar amp is to lower the buffer settings down to an acceptable level of latency.

-Problem is, I have a couple of large projects where I'd really rather not have to go through the hassle of disabling tracks & plugins just to punch in a guitar part here & there.. Would be awfully nice if I could leave the session open with plugins on and maximum buffer settings, while being able to hear my amp in the headphones in "real time."

Where am I going wrong here? Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Can't Hardware Monitor with mBox 3 & PT 9.0.5

Wow, no one else has dealt with this? Figured it would be a simple answer...
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm having a similar issue. It never works when I start Pro Tools for the first time and magically monitoring comes back after 5 minutes or so. It continues to work fine until I shutdown Pro Tools. Then I Have to wait for it to start working again. I'll be curious if PT10 fixes the issue. Until then I'm stuck dealing with it.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Find the "disable host control" button in the mbox control panel.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tams View Post
Find the "disable host control" button in the mbox control panel.
Found it. The box was unchecked. I checked the box and it made no difference. Still no headphone monitoring. I have signal on the meter but no sound.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Same problem......Avid?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Good luck getting a fix for this flaw. I am seriously contemplating taking everything back for a refund and getting a different product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk