Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Default gaps in live vocal audio recording ptle8.0.1

While recording live vocals, there are "gaps" in the recordings. The recordings dont quit but there is a gap as im recording, the recording continues after. For example:
"Mary had a lamb..."
I am running Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 with an M BOX2 MINI (USB)
Here are my system specs:

<<< System Summary >>>

> Platform : AMD Tigris

> Mainboard : Gateway SJV50TR

> Chipset : AMD 785GX

> Processor : AMD Athlon II M300 @ 2000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD32 00BEVT-22ZCT0 SATA Disk Device (320GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : Toshiba-Samsung CDDVDW TS-L633C

> Monitor Type : SAMSUNG - 15 inches

> Network Card : Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe

> Network Card : Atheros Communications AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCIe)

> Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Windows Performance Index : 3.9 on 7.9

Any suggestions would be great!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Re: gaps in live vocal audio recording ptle8.0.1

Here we go again...

Ah where is your required separate audio drive (make/model/specs)? How is it attcahed to the computer? SATA? eSATA? USB?

If you have not got one, that is likely the problem. make sure it is an 'audio spec' drive, at least 7,200 rpm. And definitly not "green" drive like a WDC Caviar Green. In the case of a Windows laptop you probably want an external USB2 (or USB 3 should hopefully work) drive formatted NTFS (not FAT32). A flash drive should be an even nicer option if you can afford it.

Looks like your WDC Blue dive (system drive) is only 5,400 rpm. I'd just not waste time with a 5,400 rpm drive, not even just for a system drive. But if you are trying to record audio as well to that drive you are lucky it works at all. A flash system SSD is significantly better than 7,200 rpm drive - very fast boots etc.

Once you get these dives sorted make sure you optimize the system following the instructions linked under the "Help us Help You -- Read this before posting" link at the top of this page. be sure to follow the specific instructions for your OS/version. Do every last little thign described to get you system working, you can try to undo anything later that you may need, once everything is working rock solid. (failure to do things like disable WiFi, disable/remove antivirus software etc. can all cause the kinds of thing you are seeing, even if you have the proper disk setups).

What are all the settings under Setup>Playback Engine and what plugins/VIs do you use (and how many) in a typical session?

If you need any more help please post a full Sandra report (see the many other posts on DUC as examples) as described in the "Help us Help You -- Read this before posting" link at the top of this page. Make sure you ave all drives attached when you run that report.

Darryl
Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply Darryl, I have this little home set-up so i can just record my vocals and send my PT sessions to get mixed down.

My set-up actually has worked pretty reliable for a few years, however, I have known that I need to step up and buy proper system and external drives for some time, its good to know thats likely the issue.

I have optimized my system according to "Help us help you",
sorry to waste yer time, but thanks!

You see, Im just a caveman rapper- this technology frightens and confuses me...

Thanks!
Sam
Old 09-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameyeam View Post
You see, Im just a caveman rapper- this technology frightens and confuses me...
You needn't be intimidated by the technology. Like anything worthwhile, it takes time and patience with an effort at reading and learning.

I have to say I echo Darryls sentiment. We get so many guys here that have done very little research so it gets somewhat monotonous going over the same ground all the time.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O